Sunday, July 15, 2007

Post Failure, punish-fest


Cat 3, Papillion Twilight Crit. Hey - there's Shim!


Ahh, the post "I suck" ride. Always a good one. I usually work harder on these than even planned hard days. Today was no exception. I went out for 30 miles on a certain route that I keep track of my personal best. Yeah - I shattered it today. If you want to know how the crit went for me, read how it went for Bryan. Then add more (except for the really sad part). I get upset, kind of, but it really focuses me. I really think about what was missing and what needs to be changed. Maybe I'm slower (personal results on lone rides beg to differ) but it seems like the competition level is higher than it used to be.

I don't even know that I'll get an opportunity to race again this year, but my training will be better now.

For me, racing, at least once a year, is a good training tool. It lets me know how bad I suck. From that I know that there is no fear of the dreaded "overtraining". I can just go as hard as I want from now on. Which is pretty hard.

4 comments:

bryan said...

You handle disappointment better than me. I need a day to pout, then I go kick my own ass. Maybe I should look into losing the pouting part and just kicking ass.

And how many more beers did you have?

Flintstone R Cube said...

Mmm ... Beer.

How many?

Uhh ...

No idea.

Somewhere in the vicinity of "a lot"

Shim said...

Dude your next investment should be double sided pedals.

Flintstone R Cube said...

Yes! Or I could just forget this whole fancy cleats business. I probably would have done much better with some good old fashioned platform pedals and a nice pair of dress shoes.