Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Shim is Funny Sometimes

Monday I went on the U.P. Lunch Ride.  I had the day off.  It was an especially nice day for December in Omaha.  Calm, sunny and high 50's.

After the U.P. part of the ride, I took advantage of the weather and rode around in Iowa for another 15 miles or so.  So that was nice.

Last weekend, a bunch of the cross racer types road tripped together in the big Trek Sprinter van thing up to some cross races in Le Mars.  I guess if a bunch of guys go together and share the costs of room and board, it can be considerably cheaper or something.

Before the Monday U.P. Lunch ride began, Brady was saying something about the weekend with the racer guys.

This reminded me of a time I was going to race for the weekend in Kansas City.  I told Brady about it.

Munson, Randell and Legg were all going down to the races and sharing a room downtown, near the courses.  I had my own room several miles from the course, but considerably cheaper than theirs.  Munson suggested I ditch my room and crash with them.  I didn't really want to, but Munson was persistent.  He felt that if the room fee were divided one more way, it would be just perfect.

I wanted to explain to Munson, that not only would I rather not share a bathroom with 3 dudes, they probably would be sorry once I did my damage on race morning.

But I didn't.  I eventually went along with the idea, but wasn't very happy about it.

Oh also - Randell's girlfriend would be sharing the room.  She was cool with it.  I actually think it was her room or something.

Well, she was cool with Munson, Randell and Legg sharing the room.  After she found out that I was also staying, I got an awkward little email from her.

It said something like, "Um Fred - I think it would be better if you found a different place to stay.  I'm not sure how my parents would feel about me shacking up in a hotel with 4 guys."

Presumably, her parents were the kind of prudes that get upset when their daughter shacks up with any more than 3 guys.

So I was relieved and offended.  I was the only married person who would be in the room, so whatever.

Anyway - as I was finishing telling this story to Brady, Shim walked out of the U.P. building toward his bike. Overhearing, he said, "That's because if you're there, it's no longer a "menage a trois".  Then it's a "menage a cube".

Good one Shim.

No comments: