Thursday, November 28, 2013

Sorry about being so cross

So the last couple of weeks, my posts have been really bitchy.  They're all like "I dislike motorists" and stuff.  Well even though that's true, so what?  Who cares?  I find myself now at the end of Thanksgiving day without having given any thought to this post.

One thing that happens when I think about these posts is that they can be a bit long-winded.  No worries about that tonight.  Everybody wins.

So sometimes when I'm writing these, I think - wouldn't it be funny if I use the "F" word?

Anyway - about 30 minutes ago, I solidified something that I've been trying to shape up for the last 2 weeks or so.  I'm racing cross on Saturday.  There are races on both Saturday and Sunday, but I have to rake leaves on one of those days.

Earlier in the week, Saturday looked to be the only nice day of the weekend.  I had to reserve that for raking the fucking leaves (tell me that's not funny).  I hadn't noticed that Sunday looks about the same as Saturday.

On a jra session today - Brady said "rake on Sunday."  Thanks Brady.

Now the dilemma is whether to race "Cat 4" or "Masters 40+".

Cat 4 starts at noon.  Masters starts at 11 AM.  Masters would be stiffer competition and perhaps slightly out of reach for my current skill level.  Who am I kidding - so is Cat 4.  But I can sleep in an hour later if I do that one.

When you go to USACycling and register for a race, they have this nifty little thing called  a "race predictor".

It does some magic with all of the entrants and their racing history and assigns this mysterious number that somehow estimates the strength of that rider.  The race predictor orders the entrants from lowest number (best) to highest.

After I enter, I will be able to see what my number is.  The current entrants of the Cat 4 race are:
1Lance MoranCentral Plains CyclingSioux Falls, SD401.10
2TODD RAMSEYThe Bike Way RacingOmaha, NE414.89
3Ben CorkJefferson, SD501.35

If I join this race, I expect to see something like: Fred Cube   505.91

But if I join the Masters:

1Randall CristGreenstreet Velo ClubOmaha, NE278.42
2Brent LinnPowerade - Independent FabricationSioux City, IA337.29
3Harry FortneyDMOS Racing TeamKelley, IA379.77
4Kevin VanderlindenSioux City VeloSioux City, IA557.08

Oh looky there.  Last time I looked, Kevin Vanderlindenhoser wasn't signed up.  Well, let's see what happens ...

Ok well - I am still predicted to be in last place.  Damn.  It came out to Fred Cube 561.25

That's close enough to Kevin Hemoglobin as far as I'm concerned.  Look out Lederhosen, here I come.  And by the way - Ben Cork - Even though you have that impressive 501.35, I wouldn't get too comfy,  I'll be coming at you with one more race under my belt since I'm racing Masters, then Cat 4 on Saturday.  Oh snap.  Yes I did.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to start training for the cross races that are taking place 36 hours hence.

And I'll say - Good day sir!

No comments: