Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The greatest fans in the country


Fans of Nebraska football have heard this throughout the years.  Great praise for the knowledge and courtesy of the Nebraska fans.  There truly is no place like Nebraska, so I have a little story of my own to tell.

I was at a game with my dad a couple of years ago.  Dad took me to my first Nebraska game when I was 8 years old.  It was Nebraska vs Wisconsin.  It was memorable.  Nebraska won that game 20-16.  I made a comment about how bad I’d feel if I was a Wisconsin fan who had traveled to see the loss.  My dad corrected me and said it was a good game and Wisconsin played well.  Behind us, a Wisconsin fan who had overheard echoed my dad’s sentiments and they shared a wry smile over my youthful ignorant spirit.

That is one way the greatest fans in the country are created.

Over the years since then, my dad and I have each been to several games.  We have never gone together though.  Coincidentally, we went to the game together in October of 2011.  Wisconsin was the opponent.  Nebraska took a bad beating from the Badgers that day losing 48-17.

After the game, I was waiting to get to the aisle to get down the steps when a very old man said to me, “Excuse me.  These steps are narrow and steep and my wife has a hard time walking.  Would it be ok if I rest a hand on your back as you go down the stairs so that we have some support?”

“Of course.  I would be glad to be of assistance,” and I truly meant it.  It makes you feel good to be able to help so much by doing so little.

As we got to the first landing, the man joked to his wife, “I told you these Nebraska fans aren’t all bad.”

Errrt.  What?  He was a Wisconsin fan!  I hadn’t noticed because he had been sitting in a Nebraska section and was wearing Wisconsin’s red.

At the revelation, I said, “Have a safe trip back home,” as I reached behind me and shoved him down the rest of the stairs.  His wife tumbled after him yelling something about her hip.  Good times.

Looking down at their decrepit crumpled remains, I got a little teary-eyed thinking about the greatest fans in the country.  Sniff.

No comments: