Monday, September 23, 2013

Ok, That's what I thought.

At the company, there used to be this one guy who we'll call "Chris".  He decided one time that it was time for him to get back into shape.  He started dieting and losing weight quickly.  For exercise, he started "riding bikes" to work.  At that time, there were as many as 3 bike commuters coming to the office.  There was somebody who I never saw.  The bike was a comfort bike with some sort of potato powered head light or something and that was weird.

There was my super ultimate racing steed and there was Chris' road bike somewhere in between.

As Chris became more serious and rode in to work more frequently, he began to  pick my brain for info.  No problem.  I was glad to discuss "riding bikes" with him for a while.

Then he started boasting.  "My average to get here is around 25."

"Not bad at all," I said, "I'm right around there too."

Then the guy that sits next to Chris said, "What!?!  You guys average 25 MPH on your bikes!?!"

"Yes," Chris smirked as I said "No we're talking about kilometers/hour.  What?" As I realized Chris was claiming he averages 25 mph on his commute.

Chris in no way had the traditional cyclist physique.  I myself was about 15 lbs too heavy at the time, but he was what we used to call husky because mom would get mad if we called kids fat.

"Well that's pretty impressive.  Is it a flattish route, because I've seen some pretty powerful heavy guys that can really hammer it down the trail,"  I asked.  Totally not believing him.

"Well I ride most of the way in on the trail, but I'm also the best climber of all of my cycling friends."

"That's good.  You should go ride with the skinny guys.  I'd love to climb like them, but until I lose weight, that's not going to happen.  Probably not even then."

He countered with, "Skinny doesn't matter.  All my cycling friends are always shocked to see me drop them on hills.  They're always like - what the hell?  I've never been dropped by anyone as husky as you before."

At this point, I'd usually just drop the conversation.  This Chris guy was implying that he was some sort of freak of nature.  The truth is, unless I actually rode with him, I couldn't be sure (but I was).

No way this guy could drop me on a climb.  But I never said anything to him about it.  It didn't matter.

About a year or longer ago, Chris quit his job at the company and moved on.  I haven't seen or thought of him or his ridiculous claims since then.

At least not until he showed up on Yesterday's GSV ride.

This is a casual ride.  Luckily Bryan Redemske, Pete Duryea, and Fred Galata showed up because I had gone on a pretty mellow ride the day before and was hoping for a few harder efforts.

Basically, Bryan and I pulled leisurely the whole way.  Then we got to 30th and Hwy 36, heading West to 72nd.  It's never a steep climb, but it is a climb the whole way.

The shoulder narrows at one point so we got into a single line with Bryan and me trading increasingly more spirited pulls.  Just when I feel I don't want to go any faster, who comes flying around me at about 5mph faster than I was going?  That's right.  Unbelievable!  It was ... not that Chris guy.  It was Gregg Wollenhaupt and it was on.  Then Bryan, Gregg and I traded punches until Gregg got all toasty with about a half mile to the top and left it to Bryan and me to finish.

Yeah that Chris guy must've been dropping all his skinny cycling buddies about 5 minutes back.

2 comments:

RD said...

that will show him D:

Flintstone R Cube said...

Ha! It's fun being a bully.