Friday, September 06, 2013

Friday Extra: Shim is the new Cosell



I remember when I was very young that Mohamed Ali had been a hero of mine.  Then, for some reason, everybody hated him.  I didn't understand it at the time, but Mohamed Ali had refused to go to Vietnam, citing conscientious objection based on his religion (Nation of Islam).

He was arrested as a draft dodger and stripped of his heavyweight boxing title.  He was also not allowed to box for a while.

Throughout all of it, one man had the audacity to stick up for his old friend.  Howard Cosell.

But that's not why Shim is the new Cosell.

If you've never seen any of the interviews Cosell conducted with Ali, I recommend you go to youtube and watch some of them.  They are fantastic.  Howard Cosell is always egging Mohamed Ali on.  You can see how much he enjoys ribbing Ali just to get his reaction.  They both are acting angry and seem to be constantly on the verge of busting up laughing.  But unlike Harvey Korman talking to Tim Conway, they somehow can keep it together.

Shim is the new Cosell because Cosell was an impersonator's dream.  Everybody who wanted to do impressions in the 70's and 80's Started with "This is Howard Cosell ..."

I think after a while, people were no longer actually impersonating Cosell.  They were impersonating  Rich Little impersonating Cosell or something.  Even my dad tried his hand at it a time or two.


Well, Howard Cosell is dead now so it's time to pick on someone else for a change.  That's why everyone lately has been trying their hand at a Shim impersonation.  As far as I know, it started with Brady.  But it has spread like wildfire.  I think now some of the impersonations I hear are actually people impersonating Brady impersonating Shim (Brady is the new Rich Little).  I can't be sure, but each generation seems to be a little bit worse at it.

I personally hate to try to do impersonations of anyone.  I'm pretty sure I'd be as good at it as my dad was (terrible) But I feel in these difficult times, I should swallow my fears and come up with my own.  Here goes:  "I'm Shim.  What the hell is fred talking about."

Thank you very much.

4 comments:

brady said...

mutter mutter mutter -- Hey Fred, can I tell you something? Shim impersonations aren't won by blogging your impersonations -- mutter mutter mutter... :)
YPG

Flintstone R Cube said...

Sorry Brady. I don't really pay attention to anything being said unless it starts with my name.

Shim said...

Hey Bwady can I tall you sumthing?

What the hell is Fred talking about?

Flintstone R Cube said...

Shim - perhaps one of the finest impersonations of Brady impersonating Rafal impersonating you I've ever seen. Nice work.