Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The verdict

Arthur Bryant's

Gate's actually was not even close. Maybe they were having a bad day or something, but the meat was dry and overcooked. The sauce was way too salty for human consumption. Famous Dave's is better than Gate's. It had to be said. Actually, so is Chili's. I want my baby-back, baby-back, baby-back ...

We did not get to GoChickenGo, but we did eat a whole lot of food.

Friday Lunch: Dirk's Sport's Bar. This is an unassuming place that you have to know right where it is or you will not find it. I had the Bad Boy Burger. Jill Had the Bad Boy Chicken. The burger was excellent. It was a real yummy char-broiled burger. I did not have beer at this meal.

Friday Night we went to a movie, The Bourne Redundancy, which was excellent, then ate in Westport at this place I think was called one80. I had some white bean hummus as an appetizer. Uh yum. It had like this olive relish with the hummus. Jill had some Gorgonzola cheese fries. I asked her to see if they'd put chili on it. She said no. For dinner, I had the chicken Milanese club sandwich - chicken breast, mozzarella, spinach, bacon, red onion, ciabatta bread. It was excellent. I also had 3 Newcastle Brown Ales. Jill had a caesar salad (boring) and a rum drink with a shitload of mint leaves in it (not for me).

We stayed in Westport, so we had a nice freak-show to watch all weekend. Most notably, was this tattoo bar called Buzzard beach or something like that. We did not have tattoos or piercings or anything, but it was a good time. The bar was filled with rebels, individualists who are not enslaved to the dictates of convention, in fellowship with others exactly like themselves, so that was cool. Plus, the beer was cheap.

At no point in the evening was there anyone older than us in there. Some kid in the corner, wearing a beret, was playing Galaga on the combination Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga machine. Actually, he was looking around more than playing Galaga. I guess trying to see if any of "The inked-up Ladies" were checking him out. "Hey, I look pretty cool playing Galaga in my beret."

And you know what? Maybe it worked. Just because the exact same thing never worked for me back in the eighties doesn't mean this guy has no game. Plus the beer was cheap. If I lived there (westport), I'd probably be at this place a lot. They could call me gramps or something endearing like that.

Saturday was pretty much more of the same, only focusing in the plaza area.

4 comments:

bryan said...

although if Saturday was in the Plaza, it was probably boring. Westport is awesome. Did you go to the bike shop just north of there? Cool little place.

Flintstone R Cube said...

I went to the bike shop. Midwest Cyclery, I think it was called. I walked up on Saturday afternoon from our hotel (The Quarterage). It was a nice place. Unfortunately, it did not have what I always look for in a bike shop. A 60 cm Carbon Dura-Ace Bike for $600. Oh well.

On the way to the shop, there was a tattoo parlor. I just realized I should have stopped in there and gone back to Buzzard Beach on Saturday night. Of course the taped over, healing tattoo might not have looked very cool.

brady said...

I confess that I'm a glutton. After reading yet another Fredcube food blog, I've come to realize that I may be a non-purging bulimic with an exercise problem. I agree with you on the quality of Gate's. The reason why I sent you there wasn't necessarily for the BBQ, but so you may have "HI MAY I HELP YOU!!!" shouted in your face. As for their food, well, there's just no substitute for the used-motor oil texture of Arthur Bryant's sauce. Too bad on missing GoChickenGo! From time to time, check their spartan website and dream of munching down deep fried chicken stomachs. Finally, DonkeyKong was my bag, baby.

Shim said...

I was staying in the Plaza area for work one time and me and a couple guys from work wondered over to Buzzard Beach in our "business casual". We were the only ones not thumping to the beat the X was producing in their little minds. So we got the heck out of there (after two or three hours of people watching). It was my second Rave Experience, the first one was in the basement of some warehouse in SOHO, but thats another story for another day.