Sunday, December 30, 2007

I do more before 9 AM ...

... than most people do by like 10 or 10:30 in the morning.

So yesterday (Saturday Dec 29) I went for my first bike ride in I don't know how long. I bundled up pretty good, then rushed outside because I was burning up inside. I got on the bike, cruised down the hill, realized I forgot my water bottle, went back up the hill, removed my arm warmers (layer 1 of 3) and went back down the hill.

From there I didn't know where I was going to go. I just knew the trail was not going to happen. So I got to 52nd and headed north/56th/morman bridge road/hwy 75/ then kind of eastish to near Dodge park/downtown/ home.

23.01 miles. 99 minutes. Under 14 MPH average. A new personal worst. In my defense, who cares. It was very enjoyable to be riding on the road again. Having properly dressed for it, my toes felt like this at the end:

Munson should know better.

It was nice and sunny and made me remember why I believe that any money spent on indoor training would probably be better spent on outdoor gear.

This morning, I went to 24 hour disco for a spinning session. The regular girl wasn't there this morning. If I'd have known, I would have really tried to encourage all you shabbos++ people to come. Especially Bryan.

You guys missed out. Not only was there more "Teh Cars" than I've heard in about 25 years (2 songs), But she also did two Bryan Adams songs!!! I know how Bryan of Algona is a huge fan. The first one was "summer of '69". I forget the second one because I was thinking, "You're kidding with this shit, right?"

No Prince though. Sorry Shim. I only want to see you standing in the Purple Rain.

So the spin was ok, but honestly, one decent hill outside kicks the whole spin class' ass.


It's just good to be back on the bike.

4 comments:

Shim said...

I have been outside eight of the last nine days,all this time off has been a blessing to my riding. After Tuesday it will be ten of eleven, a mixture of mtbing, road and gravel. Not one run in the mix. My knees are too old for that shit, anyway running sucks, thats why I started riding, besides I could never pull off that silky little shorts thing.

munsoned said...

So instead you shave your legs and wear lycra, Shim? Just kidding man. I understand about the running shorts thing. The first time I put some on, I felt way more naked than any lycra I've put on.

I did the Manawa MTB ride on Saturday and that was a blast. I think I'll have to head over there more often. Especially when it's cold and windy. Hide in the trees and all that. It's a good core workout trying to keep your bike on the narrow packed-snow part. If you run off the packed trail, you have to really work to stay upright. But if you fall you land in snow and you're never really going any faster than 12 mph or so. Good times.

brady said...

Ouch. That picture reminds me how my feet felt after doing a half marathon training run on New Years Eve. My feet are too old for that shit.

Anyway, I'm back now.

Happy New Year.

yea.

bryan said...

With all due respect, sir, it doesn't appear you've done anything for nearly a month.