Thursday, February 04, 2016

Update

It's 8:26 PM.  I've had a fairly busy day and once again find myself in a place where I don't have anything to say.  I really want to get to the TV watching by 9:00PM.

I think the general slowdown of activity that happens in the winter may contribute.  I can't really sit outside at lunch and eavesdrop. So I don't really have anyone to make fun of or marvel at or anything.

So I will provide an update.

About 23 years ago, I had a complete physical checkup.

I had another one yesterday.

There were none in between.

I've been to the Dr. a few times for various questions about whether or not I was dying of some horrible disease I read about on the internet that exactly described my symptoms.

In each of those cases, the Dr. was able to discern that I was not dying at all.

Recently I had a scare with something the kids call "Heart palpitations."

In the end, the doctors and spouse have come to the conclusion this was brought on by anxiety from recent upsetting events (Death of a friend of approximately my age and the ensuing gatherings).

My general Dr told me everything was fine and there was no reason to believe anything was wrong.  Unconvinced, I worried myself to another round of palpitations and ended up at a cardiologist.

The cardiologist was cool because he was listening to my heart and saying things like "Wow.  It's like 44 beats a minute."  

He told me I was fine and that he would like to put a heart rate monitor on me for 24 hours.  Not because I needed it, but because he thought it would be cool to see how low my heart rate went while I slept.  But yeah - we didn't do that.

Because of this scare, I decided to get current on my medical maintenance stuff.  

So yeah - everything's still ok.  I'm in much better shape than I was in 23 years ago.  Back then, my triglycerides and cholesterol were high.

My only problem now is that I'm old.  

So in March, I am now scheduled for a thing they call a "Colonoscopy." I'm sure it's every bit as exciting as it sounds.

While we were on the subject, I asked about the old prostate exam thing I've heard about for so many years (Think "Fletch").

"Yeah - we don't really recommend those anymore."

"Why not?" I asked, a little happy.

"They are statistically more harmful than helpful," The Dr. said.

"How?" I asked.

"Well, for one, they can make your johnson (no relation) not work anymore,"

Good enough for me,

The update is this: you know that thing they say about when you are going to start exercising?

"Always ask your doctor before beginning any blah blah blah."

I started exercising 19 years ago.  I didn't ask my doctor until yesterday.

He said it was fine.

~

Also - funny story - My Dr. likes to ride his bike around.  He has a Madone and a cross bike he just bought last fall.  He shops at the Trek Store in Papillion.

He told me he's a little disappointed because he tried to ride his cross bike on the gravel roads near his house and it was such a harsh ride, he couldn't stand it. 

"What pressure did you have in your tires," I asked him.

"About 85 or 90," he told me.

I suddenly realized how he must feel when I make assumptions about medical stuff.  

"You can probably go more or less, but give 40 a try," I told him, "If nothing else, it will be much better than 85."

"Or 90," he said.

"Let's just not talk about 90," I requested.


Ok, maybe that's not a funny story. I just wanted you to read it.  Thanks.

No comments: