Thursday, January 16, 2014

I found the next one

Warning: The following post was a bit of a rush job.  I have to go to a deal tonight and know I'm not going to want to do this afterward.  I forced words onto the page in such a brutal manner, there ought to be a law.  Say, that reminds me, don't you hate when people say "I'm a libertarian." Yeah, me too.  That's what makes being a libertarian so humiliating.  Because as a libertarian, I do not really think "there ought to be a law."  Libertarians don't believe in laws.  Sort of.  Libertarians are stupid.  Also, don't you hate it when people say "But I digress."  Man I hate that so much.  You know what you should really hate though?  The fact that you've just finished reading the best part of this post. Sorry about that, but I have a deal.

~~~

One time, a few (6 or 7) years ago, I gave up cycling.  There's was no conscious decision to give it up.  It just sort of fell away over the period of a couple of years.  While I was drifting away from cycling, I was completely obsessed with golf.  It was my new thing.

I have talked about this thing with my brain and obsession before.  I've always had it.  My parents would complain about it.  I am often humiliated by it, but once I latch on to a desire to have or do some 'thing', I cannot stop thinking about it.

Sometimes it is something I just have to have (skateboard, digital watch).  But usually, it is a skill I want to master (cycling, rubik's cube, pool, darts, Christianity, computer programming,cycling again, weight lifting, poker, cycling again, golf, cycling again and the latest one:  Rocking out on the guitar).

Every time I "get into" something, I fantasize that I will become the greatest at it.  As long as I study the craft, I can see no reason I will not be the best.  I have envisioned outgolfing Tiger, outguitaring Jimi, outlifting Arnold, outplaying Doyle and outhealing Benny.  I mean - I actually entertain these delusions for a remarkably long time.

I've enjoyed cycling off and on my whole life, but it wasn't until golf came along that my love of cycling was actually 'replaced' by a love of something else.  Whatever it is that I get into, it has to be difficult to learn.  I start out overwhelmed by all that needs to be learned.  The time commitment to whatever the new thing is seems impossible.  There are usually years of, "Oh man, I suck at this,"  but it only makes me regroup, reevaluate and try harder.  For whatever sick reason, I like the feeling that I'm improving, followed by the realization that I'm not very good.  That causes me to try to figure out why I'm not good and hunt for a solution.

It's the searching for a solution that keeps me interested.

Eventually though, I become bored with whatever I'm into and go back to cycling.  That's the way it's always been.

When I caught the cycling bug in late 2012, it was worse than ever before.  Strava is partially to blame for this.  I've always enjoyed trying to analyze stuff and Strava offers a bunch of data.  Also, it allows me to be more honest about my ability.  That's a good thing.  I'm particularly negative.  But I can see some decent efforts with all the info laid out.

Anyway, I mostly gave up golf.  I went out about 5 times this year and had  a decent time, but my preference for cycling never waned.

Two years ago, I started playing guitar again.  Over the past 6 weeks, I've been sick 3 times and unable to ride much at all.  I started playing guitar more.  I got into the same mode I do with everything else.  Feeling like I have to play for at least an hour a day.  Mostly I was putting in about 2 or 3 hours while I was not riding.  The first day I was well enough to ride, my time was limited.  I had to make a decision.  I wanted to do both but didn't have time.  One would have to take a back seat.  Then I laughed.  "Are you kidding me?"  I said to myself.  "You are more likely to compete in the Tour de France than be the next Stevie Ray Vaughan or Billy Gibbons."

It was ridiculous.  The thought that I needed to play guitar to attain some expert level.  That could never happen.  I'm far too old.  The important thing is staying in good physical shape.

I surprised myself, but ultimately renewed my vows with cycling.  It's a long road to the Tour de France, but I promise you, I'll get there.  I know you don't believe me.  But that's only because I haven't shared my training plan with you.  It's just a hop, skip and a jump from 50 year old cat 4 hero to world class cyclist.  Also, I have a passport, so getting to France should be "no problemo," as the French say.


3 comments:

brady said...

That deal tonight, open mic or guitar lesson? Please tell me you didn't cover Pearl Jam

Flintstone R Cube said...

I suppose I should have included the setlist:

Horse with no name
Mandy
Horse with no name (reprise)
Pride(in the name of love) - try not to cry this time, Hinsley.
Beth

RD said...

Kiss sucks !!!