Thursday, October 10, 2013

You can hide, but you can't run (Rule 42)

... should only run if being chased. And even then, one should only run fast enough to prevent capture.

Ok, time to start being a bully again.  Brady and I have often discussed how we do not deserve Munson.  Here's the thinking.  Munson is always good (at least the Munson that Munson shows the world).  There is absolutely no reason to think there is a malicious bone in Munson's body.  Usually, I reward Munson's considerable kindness with less than nice words.  How does he respond to this?   By the time Munson gets done with me, I always feel like I've had coals of fire heaped on my head

Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head - Romans 12:20

So grab a shovel Munson, cause I'm hungry and thirsty for some Munson abuse.

A few weeks ago, I was Keystone Hammering (Yeah - it's a verb.  And you're a tool - I'm being a bully) on one of my Commuter Grand Prix rides, when all of the sudden - I noticed a commuter way up yonder.  Well, it wasn't too far from where I had to get off the trail, so I set this guy as the carrot to reach before Askarben.  As I buried myself to make the catch I began to ask several questions.  Is that Munson? Does Munson still ride bikes?  That's kind of Munsony looking hair, isn't it?

I figured, yeah that's Munson, so I rolled up next to him and said, "Hey Munson."

I hadn't seen that guy for several months so we chatted about all kinds of stuff.  He was near his house when we met, but he wanted to get a few extra miles in, so he rode on up to my house with me, where we discussed how much he needed to get back on the bike, starting the next day.

Well he was keen on the idea.  We rode the GSV Tuesday night route (on a Saturday morning) and he did surprisingly well.  Then he rode a lot the next couple weeks.  I had loaned him an extra Garmin I had and he joined Strava.

Also, Peter Boyd was riding with us.  The band was getting back together and it was (like totally high pitched) awesome.

Brady and I started to believe maybe Munson was really going to do it this time.

Then I made an error.  I jumped the gun, so to speak.  I was thinking that if the comeback actually happened, it would allay my concern that I'm just some stupid Ben Kenobi trying to do a job meant for Yoda.

The Ginnys are not awarded lightly (except that there was almost no thought involved in awarding them).  Never in the history of The Ginnys has an award been revoked.  I don't believe one ever will be, either.  But there is a strong contingent (existing only in my brain) calling to strip Munson of his award.

If you don't know about The Ginnys, it is the most coveted award in this area for great local cycling achievements.  It is thrown together by the fine folks over at the sister blog, Gin Soaked Vagina.

Arguably, the highest of all of these awards is the "Harden The Fuck Up" award.  Yeah, Munson won it.  It was based on a rather heroic effort during a winter ride earlier this year.  That effort stands on its own and the fact that Munson is now a big huge pussy will not enter into the equation.

To be fair, Munson has some sort of issue with his wrist that "kills" when he rides. Sucks for him.  He needs to take it easy or get to a doctor and find out what's going on.

Ok, enough being fair.

At first, it was the blogging that tricked me into thinking I was on the precipice of motivational greatness where Obi Wan had so miserably failed.  Munson's blogging, I said.  Oh it's on.  Crap!

Why was I saying "Crap!"  Because I know how good Munson is/was.  He doesn't, but I do.

In those couple of short weeks when Munson's wrist didn't have to hand out timing chips at wedding rehearsal dinners, his improvement on the bike was coming - I'll say it - a little too fast for my liking.  I could see that if he kept it up for any amount of time at all - he'd be dropping me like yesterday's old stuff that gets dropped pretty hard.

I was getting worried, sure - but I figured that it would just force me to improve.

Well that's over now.  I haven't heard from him in a couple of weeks.  He hasn't blogged.  He's done.

Too bad.

Oh by the way - Munson?  How about an early ride this Saturday for a couple of hours?  Everyone else will probably be racing cross.  Place your lame excuse in the comments section, please.

And I don't want to hear that you're doing the timing chips for the cross races this weekend.  Get somebody else to do it.  Let's ride!  Hyah!

6 comments:

munsoned said...

I think I'll need to go with my Onion analogy again.

Thin skin - I do have chip timing to do this weekend, so I'm out.

1st layer - I have to do the chip timing because I need the money.

2nd layer - I need the money because I have a 2 week trip coming up that the wife and I have been planning for a year.

3rd layer - I'm fairly broke as it is, so all extra money is needed.

4th layer - I'm broke because I'm in debt from racing and living beyond my means for too long.

5th layer (and pretty deep) - I have budgeting and spending issues.

6th layer (deeper still) - I have spending issues because I'm usually depressed about how my life is going and buying this thing or that thing that I should not be buying or going on the occasional bike rides makes me feel better for a little bit.

Outer, outer core - Deep Depression that I'm 36, still living check to check, I'm out of shape, and I'm not a very good friend to some really great people I've met through the years.

Outer core (and thickest layer) - Peace and serenity

Teeny Tiny Center Core - Intense, white-hot rage that I keep buried so I don't hurt the ones I love(what I tap into during attacks or TTs).

So yeah, if I could strip all those layers away to my outer core (the way I was when I first started racing), I would be on my bike all the time. I got 4 more years to rid myself of all the stupid debt laden depression layers so I can ease my way into the Masters races, dominate those for a while, then race as a cat 3, maybe 2.

I don't quite yet see a very visible light at the end of the tunnel yet, but maybe a pinhole glimmer of hope.

Only once I reach peace and serenity will I be able to tap into my rage.

brady said...

Hey Fred, how do you like them apples-- err coals?

Munson: I've got some Dave Ramsey CDs you can borrow. Good stuff, I tell you. Listen and apply what he teaches and you can dice that onion up to tears of joy. Let me know when you want to borrow it. I won't even ask to exchange them for my Hiromi Uehara CDs you've had on extended loan.

It's frightening to think that deep down, the Evil white-hot rage Munson is being suppressed over all these years. That compressed rage is going to go thermal one day. And when it does, golly, I hope to be no where near your wheel.

Flintstone R Cube said...

Whatever Shrek. I am more than thrilled that all I ask is for a simple lame excuse and you oblige with the granddaddy whopper of lame excuses of all time! Pure Munson - through and through. What I've always assumed was burning hot coals of kindness was actually Munson's white hot suppressed rage. Well done. ol' boy. Now to break character for a moment: It get's better Munson. I had to start over after a bitter divorce at the age of 32. I didn't get out of my mountain of debt for several years. People live a long time now so 36 is not old. You've got time. Well if you get into shape ...

Flintstone R Cube said...

Oh sorry Brady. I didn't see you talking there. Do you have any Dave Matthews? I'm thinking of taking up yodeling.

RD said...

Wtf is this dr Phil episode ?

Flintstone R Cube said...

Yes Rafal - please describe in great detail, your onion layers. Thanks.