Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tuesday Extra: Eye of the kid

For most of this year, I have not had any interest in road riding alone. Usually if it's just me, I would prefer to hit one of the mountain bike trails.  That's a lot more entertaining than miles of road just for the sake of riding.

For a few months, the bulk of my rides has been either commuting or group riding. If I do end up on a solo road ride, I just don't have the motivation to push myself.  I'll decide on a route and endure it at an easy pace.

I'm writing this post for two reasons:

1) I may have found some new spirit from an unlikely source.  Kids.

2) There was nothing much to read anywhere today after Robin Williams and Ferguson.

Two local kids (ages 12 and 13) raced the Category 5 Papillion Criterium this past Saturday.  I had volunteered to help out for the races.  I had no real interest in racing, but when I found out these kids, who are a part of the Devo Dirt Militia program were racing, I was excited to see how they'd do.  I knew they were strong riders, but I never expected them to do as well as they did.

They stayed with the main group throughout the race.  At one point they were able to bridge up to a pair of riders trying to catch the lone breakaway rider.  It was incredible.  On every lap, you could see them straining to stay with the group.  To get into good position.

Watching them fight so hard for so long was inspirational.  It made me want to work harder in training.  When I saw the following picture posted, I thought it brilliantly captures what I saw at the race.  They used to always talk about "The Look"  Lance Armstrong gave to Jan Ullrich just before dropping him on L'Alpe d'Huez.  I don't know.  I think this one's better:

I've made no secret that my "helping out" at Devo is for selfish reasons.  I learn at least as much as the kids (if not as fast).

Last night Mark Savery started a CX training series for the Devo Dirt militia.  I went to help/learn where needed.  The night's lesson focused on the importance of getting a good start and how it can set the tone for the rest of the race.  He was arranging all the kids into 2 rows and rearranging them after each run through a small course he had set up.  At one point, he told me to get in the third row.  I was more than happy to oblige.  The kids were having so much fun I really wanted to join in.  After a couple times of that Mark also jumped in on the fun.

At the end of it, Jack and all the kids had learned a ton and had more fun than I've ever seen at one of these things.

Today I commuted to work and drilled it the whole way.  I felt a little silly, but no sillier than I felt having a blast at the Devo CX training last night. Thanks kids.

1 comment:

Travis said...

I wish I had gotten to the race early enough to see those kids racing on Saturday! So cool!