Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday Extra: Something for you to read (now with audio support)

Amazon Prime membership now comes with streaming music.  So that's pretty cool.  There's some stuff I wouldn't normally listen to or even know about that I can at least check out.

One that I'd never heard of before was "Old Crow Medicine Show."  It's kind of an old-timey sort of bluegrass country thing.  Think "Oh Brother, Where art Thou" soundtrack.  Not that they're on it as far as I know - it's just that's the kind of music they play.

Anyway - that's not why I'm here.  I'm here to talk about "Rockabye Baby"

Amazon prime offers about 600 songs from "Rockabye Baby."  They are a bunch of rock songs arranged into lullabies that you could, if you wanted to, play in an infant's room.

They have music from the likes of Metallica, Bon Jovi, Guns 'n' Roses, Led Zeppelin, and so on.

I've listened to a bunch of it mostly because it's really funny.  They make Black Sabbath songs like "War Pigs" and "Paranoid" sound like serene, happy little songs.  I could see how they could sooth your newborn.

There's lots of heavy xylophone use in these songs.  Plus, there's usually the random cricket chirp.

So I'm working my way through these lullabies, thinking they might actually work when I get to "The music of Nirvana"    


It might be the most horrifying thing I've ever heard. "Smells like Teen Spirit" comes across way darker than the original or it's accompanying video ever thought of being.  I was sitting here listening to it in broad daylight and I became anxious and fearful.  There weren't even any crickets at all.  No way I would play this to a baby.  Unless I was in the "Serial Killer" raising business or something.  I feel like the Rockabye baby people lull you into thinking these are safe, then bam!  Your kid is hurting small animals.

Actually, the Rockabye Baby version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" might be the best version there is.  Even better than the original.  Even better than Al Yankovic's. Go check it out.  I'm going back to the "Old Crow Medicine Show" to try and wash the trauma away and hopefully prevent night terrors.

Good day to you.

P.S. I will also note that I just listened to Rockabye baby's "Hurt" by NIN.  That's not putting any kids to sleep either.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny thing is we have some of those. A few are OK but some would have given Madi a few 3 month old nightmares that would have lingered for a while.