Thursday, July 31, 2014

I'm Back!

But this time ... it's nothing personal.

Over the past 14 years or so, since I started using cycling as my main form of exercise, I've backed off from it several times.

I've made at least a dozen or so declarations of "returning."  My weight has gone up and down.  I quit to finish college once.  I took up golf once, and so on.

About the time I was on my first big fade, Barry (AKA BM) started crossing over from running to cycling.  I could see right away that he was talented.

Eventually he became an excellent rider.  At the same time - around 2006/7 or so, I got serious about golf and gained about 25-30 pounds.

In the fall of 2011, I started crossing back over to cycling from golf but it didn't stick.  In the Summer of 2012, I golfed much more than rode.

Throughout that whole time (2006-2011), I'd hear from Barry occasionally.  He'd email me with something like, "You should come back to cycling.  Good times await."

Around Thanksgiving 2012, Boomer came into town from his home in California.  I had not been riding much in the previous 5 or 6 months. Boomer asked me if I knew what Strava was.  I didn't, but it sounded really cool.

I bought a Garmin within a couple of days.  I was more focused on cycling than ever.  I was aware that someday the novelty of Strava would probably grow tiresome for me, but I just hoped that when that happened, I would be able to find motivation from somewhere else.

As I started coming back, I was constantly asking Barry where the rides were.  He was the only cyclist I was in touch with on a regular basis.

The first group ride I went on in years was on a bitter cold December day.  The streets were clear, so it was road bikes.  When I showed up at Blue Line, Shim said, "This is the day you decide to join us?"

It was pretty funny, but I had to get my Strava going so I wasn't missing the ride.

After that, the only way I would find out about a ride happening was if Barry told me about it.  In fact, if it's anything other than the widely advertised group rides, Barry is still the only person who tells me about it.

So to those of you who are new to Omaha cycling (weren't there when I left), that's why you think I only ride if Barry's there.  It's not true at all.  The truth is, I only go on your little secret group rides if Barry tells me about them.  I was riding before Barry and if he hadn't taken cycling up, I might not have come back as soon.  I certainly wouldn't have been privy to many of the rides I joined.

Earlier this year, I found life getting in the way of my training.  It was relentless.  I lost fitness and motivation. I tried to train through it, but it really didn't free up until July 1.

In hindsight, this is probably a good thing.  I had been frustrated by not being able to get adequate rides in for so long that when it opened up I didn't miss any opportunity.  July has been an incredible month. After what seemed like Winter winter winter rain rain rain for the first 6 months, July arrived with little wind or rain and mild temps for basically the whole month.

Last week on Thursday and Friday, I decided to stick it to the man and use up some of my PTO.  On Friday, I did not get a bike ride in.  I was on my bike the other 30 days of July.  This includes 3 GSV Sunday rides, 3 WNW rides and  a Tuesday GSV ride.

This month, I've had my most hours and miles in a calendar month ever.


Barry is a triathlete now.  To a cyclist, that's kind of like telling somebody you're taking up golf.  Hopefully he'll come to his senses some time soon.

But even if he doesn't, I'm back.  I may not find out about secret rides anymore, but I'll be at the public ones.
Why do I say all of this?  I can't remember.  Oh yeah.  I know what it was.  Hey Leah:  You don't need to tell me Barry's not coming on a ride anymore.  I like when he's there.  But my ride sponsor days are long over.  Especially at WNW.

When I'm at WNW, it's a better ride than when I'm not there and everybody knows it.  Why?  Because when I'm there, Shim can ask 70's trivia and there is a possibility of somebody (me) knowing the answer.

Without me there, it's all "What in the hell is Shim talking about?"


4 comments:

bryan said...

Plus you guys can trade Paul Simon bootlegs.

Flintstone R Cube said...

Best moment ever? When he left Garfunkel.

RD said...

I'm sorry your thunderbuddy left you ... what a jerk :D

Flintstone R Cube said...

Thanks for the sentiment, Rafal. Sniff. Actually, it's pretty awesome that you've been showing up to the rides. Yeah.