Thursday, April 03, 2014

Heh, Heh, Heh, No excuses, part 3 of 2.

Man I hate it when people make excuses.  Also, I seem to have a problem with people who live in Phoenix.  But that's not important right now.  What is important is that now it gets real.  It's April 3rd.  The Wednesday Night World Superfast race thing has 2 weeks under its belt already.  The first Nebraska road race weekend of the year is a distant memory from almost 2 weeks ago.

With the changing season, we're all going to be kicking the training up a notch.  No more complaining about how (read this part with a really nasally mocking sound) "Oh, it's too cold and yucky out! Oh, I don't wanna get my widdow toes all cold and everything."  No more gosh darn excuses.  Get the fuck out there and ride.  See?:



What?  Snow?!?  No fair!  Waah!

I bring this up because my actual true reaction when I saw this was a little smile.  Also, I chuckled a bit, saying, "Heh, heh, heh."

Admittedly, I have not put in near the miles I had at this time last year.  Some of that is weather related, but most of it is just business around the house.  The reason I wanted to add a part 3 of 2 (this post) was when I heard myself say "Heh, heh, heh!" I realized how true my post from fall (looking forward to winter) was.

So what if it snows?  I'll figure some way to get a ride in.  Or I won't.  No biggie either way. This is drastically different from my attitude every year of my life until the last one.

I think I figured out why.

I'm old now.  I believe that the older you get, the more important it is to stay active.  Also, as life gets more complicated, it becomes increasingly difficult to stick to a regimen.

It's easy to come up with reasons not to exercise.  Stuff that needs to be done around the house.  Taking kids to events.  Doing stuff with them. Injuries, illness and so on.

Or you could just say, "I'm too old for this sort of thing."  Lots of people do that one.

I think the reason the weather doesn't bother me anymore is that it's less of a hindrance than the rest of the things in life that get in the way.  Once the kids and house and work and stuff is taken care of and there's a chunk of time I can go for a ride - I'm not letting crappy weather stop me.

Life's too short to waste days waiting for a nice one.  Unless you live in Phoenix.  Then, the sooner your miserable life in hell is over, the better.

Also - I won't make an excuse about how short this post is.  In fact, I'm sure most people prefer that.  You're welcome, most people.


2 comments:

brady said...

Dang son, if your only time to ride is at 3AM (and in the snow), maybe you should reconsider your stance.

Flintstone R Cube said...

As the evil toilet profit [sick[sic]] once said, "What are you looking up here for [sic], when the joke is in your hand?"