Friday, April 04, 2014

Friday Extra: On Giving Up

It occurs to me that there are a few things that inspire me to continue riding.  To not give up.  I never know where they are going to come from and they don't always make a lot of sense, but they somehow become a part of my internal dialogue.  Every once in a while I hear these things going on in my head and I stop and think, "Where does that come from?"

It's rarely some sort of amazing quote about being a hero or anything.  Normally, it's an offhanded remark that probably was not intended to inspire at all.  There are 3 of these pesky little proverbs that regularly speak to me from beneath consciousness.  This morning I captured all 3 and was able to recall their origin.

Admittedly, the first one was from sort of a "win one for the Gipper" speech.  It was an email from Brady about how I need to get back on the bike. This was maybe 3 years ago.

Brady:

I saw you at the Trek Store back in May.You were riding a lot back then. Now that Jack's back in school, can you resume commuting to work or something? How else are you getting your excercise? Golf doesn't count. Get back on it. You'd make great gains in a short time. Then we could ride sometime.

Then the prophetic:

When you get tired of golf, come back. Good times await.

The emphasized words above are what stuck for some reason.  Don't know why.  They are still there, driving.  They are not alone though.  They are accompanied by a quip Shim made last summer.  This one drives me on as much as anything I've ever heard.

It was on the Wednesday night Trek store ride.  The climb they call the Surfside KOM.  I always get dropped there.  In fact, after giving it everything several weeks in a row and failing, I wasn't aware of it, but I had stopped really trying.  We'd all start up the hill and I was resigned to getting dropped.  I'd sort of pull over and get into a rhythm for the rest of the climb.  Slogging along until the regroup a few miles south of Dodge park.  

One week as I pulled over, Shim went by and said "Don't quit, Cube." There was no discernible emotion.  It was matter-of-fact.  The tone in his voice was almost one of impatience.  Like I was taking a report card to my dad.  He'd take one look and know I wasn't really trying.
  
So I thought, Oh alright.  Then Shim slowed a bit to make sure I was on his wheel and pulled me for as long as I could hang on.  I still got dropped, but I knew I went absolutely as hard as I could.  Which was a lot harder than I thought I could.

When I need to hang on a little longer, I realize "quitting" isn't the way to get it done.  I always hear "Don't quit, Cube,"  in that same accusing tone.   

The last one still surprises me, but it's in there.  It's from the movie "Joe Dirt."  Seriously.  

I haven't seen the movie in years, but it seems like Dennis Miller is giving Joe Dirt some crap for being such a big huge loser and why doesn't he just give up.

Joe Dirt is a big huge loser, but he always remains upbeat.  He's spouting some philosophy and he says something like, "I gotta keep going.  What am I gonna do, quit?  That's not an option."

As stupid as that (and the movie) is, there's something there.  When you are living, quitting is not an option.  That's why giving up feels so crappy.  Regret comes not from failing, but from not trying as hard as you can.

Boobies.

4 comments:

brady said...

Shim did pretty much the same thing to me on that hill once. Only he slowed just enough to allow me to catch back on before drilling it and dropping me a second time. Looking over his shoulder as he rode away, he called back, "You can do it, Brady."

I couldn't that night, but it certainly movitvated me to be able to do so later on.

Shim said...

I think this sums it up

Joe Dirt: [talking to himself while brushing hair in the mirror] People like that security guard. They don't really mean what they say. They just got their own issues and what not. Alls I got to do is keep bein' a good person. No matter what, good things'll come my way. Everything's gonna happen for me, just so long as I never have no in my heart.
[toilet flushes and man walks out of stall. Joe looks down awkwardly]
Joe Dirt: Right on. Things are gonna happen for me! I'm Fred Dirt!

RD said...

Never quit except for cx races and only if there is beer

Flintstone R Cube said...

Uh yeah Shim.
That's "Fred Dir-tay."