Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tuesday Extra: My Hill Climb Race Report

Well it wasn't actually, technically a sanctioned race or anything.  It was a party the fine folks over at GSV put on annually.  I'm not sure how it works because the idea was to ride around and climb some local hills and decide the winner based on their Strava times up those hills.  The ride ended up at the top of Hummel park where there were burgers and all kinds of refreshments being served.

Before the "race" started, I heard someone say, "What's the prize for winning?"

I thought this was funny because there was no entry fee and food and drink at the end of the ride.

But the appropriate answer came back: "Ten thousand dollars."

Now I'm sure if you took a cross section of just about any group of people and put their I.Q.s up against your average group of cyclists, you'd see that there's not a lot of difference.  No one group is necessarily more intelligent than any other.

Wait - did I just say "I'm sure"?  Maybe I used to be, but not anymore.  Cyclists are stupid.

There was some mumbling along the way about that huge prize.  Some people actually believed it.  Or maybe they were just pretending to believe it to try to make me believe it.  Yeah - I'd rather think that way.

Of the people there at this Sunday morning group ride, most of the smart money was on whipper-snapper Grant Rotunda to take top honors (I'm still not convinced Rotunda is a real name - it is, however, awesome).  Others had people like Jakob Wilson and yours truly as potential favorites.

I know this because more than one person rode up to me at various points in the ride to encourage me to go for the $10,000.  Really.  I'm not lying at all.  They really did.  I would say - there is no money, but I will go for a hamburger.  Then they'd say something like - "no, the guy said ..."

Anyway, after some hills, Grant Rotunda, who was still sticking to that name, and I had a gap on the rest of the people.  Grant pulled most of the way.  The next big climb was called Llama Hill because there used to be Llamas or Alpacas or something in the yard at the top of the hill.  I don't know.  Maybe they're still there, but I haven't seen them in a while.  Just before the hill, the main group caught up to Grant and me.

At the time, I had the Strava KOM on that climb.  While we were going up the first section of the climb, Grant's chain fell off.  I felt so sorry for him, I attacked.  Jakob was right behind me.  Then he bolted up the hill and I could not keep with him.  He took my Strava KOM in the process.

After the climb, I caught up to Jakob and we worked together toward the finish - The dreaded north side Hummel climb.  While we were on a long flat section toward the park entrance, Jakob looked back and saw that Grant was behind us with the main group farther behind him.  He said we should sit up and wait.  I agreed because Grant had done most of the work and had had some misfortune.

On the last climb, I decided I was happy with 3rd and pedaled "easy" up the hill.  I had already been dropped earlier on Llama hill by Jakob. Grant was flying up Hummel.  I was tired, so.

That was my second mistake.

Had Jakob and I continued to keep Grant away (we might not have been able to - but we should have tried)- I could have assured myself 2nd place.

While I was taking it easy up the Hummel climb, I was gaining on Jakob.  Fast.  Not fast enough to catch him, but I believe he was cooked from his effort up Llama hill.  I should have given it all to beat him on that last climb.  But I didn't.

So Grant got the $10,000.

But - I had my first non time trial podium.  And even though it wasn't an actual race and some of the contestants were children, I was still happy with the result.

P.S.  I shouldn't have to say this, but I think I need to.  10 seconds ago when I said "Grant got the $10,000."  I was kidding.  There was no money.  The burgers were delicious, though.

No comments: