Thursday, March 27, 2014

Thursday Morning Extra: Sorry there was no Wednesday Extra

I was going to talk about the one time I decided to run a 5K race on the keystone trail.  At one time, I wanted to get a 50 minute seeded pass for the Corporate Cup.  I thought If I could run a 5K in 25 minutes or less, that would be a good first step.  I "trained" over the winter almost exclusively on U.P. treadmills.  I'd run outside occasionally, but  running is just a horrible thing.  Long distance, slow running is exactly what we (humans) are evolved to do according to people who sit around all day and think about this stuff.  So even though I hate it, I thought I'd give it a try.  This was what my ancestors had worn out cattle for or something, so ...

It was a St Patrick's day sort of a race thing.  There was food and beer at the finish line.  Well - there was food and beer at the finish line while it lasted - which was considerably less than 25 minutes.

Anywho's, Coach Barry was also in the race.  After he finished the race and knowing my goal, he kindly sauntered on back to where I was to pace me to the finish.

This might have been the very first BCM Pep Talk I ever got.  He was saying things like, "See that guy up there.  He's not going to finish in under 25 minutes.  You know what that means?  You're going to pass him.  Or you're going to experience 100% failure.  Plus, they're almost out of beer."

Well thanks to Coach Barry, I had something like 45 seconds to spare when I finished.  I limped over to the keg for a nice red plastic cup full of warm Bud Light foam.

Then I never ran again.

Thanks again Barry.

5 comments:

brady said...

I never doubted you for a moment

brady said...

That's not entirely a true statement. I had my doubts. I should say I never doubted you for a moment after I told you they were running out of beer

brady said...

It's all about motivation.

Listening to one's respiration rate, monitoring heart rates, watts, etc... is all a load of crap

It's beer or 100% failure. That's all.

brady said...

you're welcome


(good job, pally)

Flintstone R Cube said...

After enough beer, I feel I can accomplish anything as long as I don't drink any beer. Actually - all joking aside - it was a great help for me.