Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Horse and The Mule

"The mule may take care while the horse just runs."  -- Ancient Proverb I just made up just now.

Some time in around 2013, I started riding off road a little bit.  The boys were involved in Devo - mountain bike training for kids.  I'd always tag along "to help" but honestly, I was there to learn from the area experts.

In the three seasons of Devo I've learned a ton.  Not as quickly as most of the kids, but I've learned.

This year has been rough.  I felt slower than ever.  I felt clumsy. I did race though.  I raced Cat 2 at Tranquility and Platte River State Park.  I was out of shape for both, but the main problem was my skill level is so low.  I quit the Platte River State Park race after about 3/4 of the first lap.  I just cruised to the start/finish and quit.

Last Sunday was the race at Swanson.  I was on the fence about it.  I rode the course a couple of times, but balked at the little part they call "The Root of all Evil."  It's visually terrifying for someone of my skill level and age and wimp-like disposition.

It's kind of a steep descent with some huge roots sticking out of the ground.  Once you hit the bottom, if you don't make a sharp left turn of about 130 degrees, you'll go into the woods. Your bike probably won't.  Next is a pretty steep climb with a bunch of big roots here and there.

So by the time last Sunday came around, I had gone down that first part exactly zero times.  I always intended to, but chickened out.

I was unsure if I'd race on Sunday because of that one little section.  You can't skip it in the race.  The race doesn't seem like the time to learn.

But then.  It rained.  I woke up Sunday to see the wet streets. I knew the race would be cancelled.  I was pretty happy about that.  "Yes," I said.

So everybody who was looking forward to this race;  the kids who had traveled from LeMars; all the planning and preparation by a bunch of people to get the course ready.  It was all ruined and I was happy about it, because I was afraid of a little bit of technical section.

The race was eventually postponed to this coming Sunday.  Excellent, I thought.  Now I can go and learn that section.  Except no.

I went out Tuesday, yesterday and today to do one thing.  Learn that part.  Each day, I chickened out and bypassed it.  As I was on my second lap today, I saw Roxzanne and Abbey.  Roxy was giving Abbey instruction on the root of all evil from the high side.  The high side won't be a part of the race, but it's much easier (and even scarier).  Instead of the sharp left, the high side goes up and around so you go down a long steep hill toward the rooty climb, but straight on.  You can use your speed to carry you up the tough part.

So I watched Roxzanne and Abbey do that and went on my way.

When my lap was done, I asked Roxy if the high side would be in the race. I had never done that either, but it did look easier (and scarier) than the low side way.

No - she said.  So I asked, what side of the low side did she ride down.

She said "Let's go find out."

Um ...

"No - I'm done.  I have to go get ice cream."

I didn't know this, but Roxy has this expression she knows how to make that lets you know she knows how big of a pussy you are being.

"C'mon.  Let's teach you how to climb that hill."

"It's ok.  I'll do it some other ..."

"Come on."

So as she and Abbey headed back to the root of all evil, I sort of followed them.  I just wanted to make sure they knew I was not going to do it.

"Just so you know, I'm terrified,"  I mentioned.

Roxy gave me a bunch of tips and I got down the hill sort of fine.  I had to nearly stop at the bottom, so there was no way I'd have made it to the top.

"Well that was good," I said.  "Now I know I can get down it.  See you later."

"No.  Again." Roxy said.  I really didn't want to, but there was no reason not to.

The second time, I did the whole thing successfully.

"Ok, great.  Thanks Roxy.  See you Sunday."

"Now it's time to put it all together," she said.

"The ice cream is going to melt," I tried.  Yeah the ice cream was still at the store, but I was desperate.

The third time I hit one of the roots on the way down the wrong way and lost all speed trying to keep upright.

I did it one last time and jacked it all up.  But on the fourth time all fear of the descent was gone.

So now I'm ready to have fun this Sunday. As long as there's no rain ...



3 comments:

Travis said...

Man, I can make it down that descent no problem, but maintaining the momentum to not get totally jammed up on the roots of that climb out gets me about 95% of the time. I think I've cleared the whole thing maybe twice, but probably only once. I'd be curious to know what line works the best on the descent to allow for keeping speed up the climb.

Flintstone R Cube said...

Super secret information Travis. But Since it's you, I'll tell you. High and right. Be in your climbing gear before you enter that section. You don't need to pedal down it, as Roxy pointed out.

Anonymous said...

Makes sense. I always seem to hit that last root at the bottom on the left which doesn't set you up very well for the climb, but appears to be the best part of the root to get over, if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the privileged information! ;)