Monday, August 10, 2015

Garden Party


Short List: a list of a small number of people or things that have been selected from a larger group and are being considered to receive an award, to get a job, etc.


I have been asked by a few good friends recently about my "short list" of names of people who have never been anything but cordial to me. I'm paraphrasing.

Some of them wanted to know precisely why they didn't make the list.  

Mostly because when I was writing the last post, I was on a certain train of thought with the short list.

I was asking myself who are some of the baddest mofos I've had the privilege of riding with who have basically gone out of their way to be cool to me.

If you are not on the list there are a few possible reasons why:

1) You've been a dick to me at one time or another.  This is the most common reason. I've probably been a dick to you too.  But that's not important right now.

2) You are not among the top cyclists in the area.  Second most common (pattern forming).

3) You are a close friend.  We ride a lot together. I'd be bored out of my mind if you were always cordial.  Chris Spence is the exception.  I've ridden a ton with him over the last year.  He's just a nice guy.  I'd venture he's Munson nice.

4) Even though you are always nice, I am often shitty to you.  Pure guilt keeps me from putting you on the list.  This also means I would not expect to be on anybody's similar list.  I fit none of my criteria.

5) You weren't one of the first five people I thought of.  My lists only go to five.

The main criteria was top cyclists who are not dicks because I was trying to make a point about bullies.  It was clumsy.  I didn't explain it well.

My point was this:  Don't be a dick.  We're all here to ride bikes fast.  There are several examples of people who are faster than you who aren't dicks.

For instance, there's ...

1) Chris Spence
2) Jonath ...

Oops.  There I go again.  Well.  You get the idea.

1 comment:

Spence said...

Thank you Fred. You truly are a good guy. I really enjoy riding with you, looking forward to doing some cross with you this fall.
Peace.