Thursday, March 19, 2015

One minute of my afternoon

Today I went to an orientation for my new job that starts on Monday.  I was meeting with the orientation folks at noon to go over a bunch of information about the company.  This meeting went until about 1 PM or so.

After the meeting, I realized I needed to get some lunch.  So I went to get some lunch.  When I sat down to enjoy my tasty lunch I checked my email on my iPhone.

Tomorrow is my last day at the old company and we're trying to make sure that the people taking over my stuff know where to find it and how to use it and everything.

There was a question to me in the email about one of my services.  I decided it would be best if I answered the question right then and there instead of waiting to get back from orientation/lunch.  I had already been gone for about 2 hours at this point, so I crafted my reply.

Apple's iOS has this neat thing where when you start typing a word, it tries to guess what you're typing by context.  It's pretty good at it too.

In this message, I typed "He" and the word I wanted "Hey" was there.  After I selected it, three new words showed up for input( "I", "you", "I'm"). Siri is quite often correct about this.  I've had times where it guessed three or four words in a row correctly before I even typed anything.  The next word was "I" which Siri guessed.


So that's pretty cool.  Another cool thing is that if you're texting a person who has an iPhone, iOS tries to use "iMessage."  I don't really care if cellular or wi-fi is used, what I like is that the text balloons are a friendly blue color when you text an iPhoner.  Otherwise, they're a stupid green.  Jobs was quite the marketing genius.

But what's not cool is that Apple has iOS updates every few weeks.  It seems like every time there's an update, the predictive texting feature and the iMessage (blue balloons, remember) gets shut off.

So since I updated my phone the other day, when I was responding to the work email, I noticed I didn't get all of the time saving guesses.

I went into the settings and it was on (it always is) but the marketing genius makes you turn it off and back on again.

Next, I wanted to test it.  I had already sent the email, so I just went into "Messages" and began to compose a test message. I hit the name of a contact from my recent texts and typed "ddd"

I then accidentally sent it (corrected to "Did"):  The rest happened in less than a minute total.  Gosh, I love technology:


No comments: