Thursday, February 05, 2015

We'll always have Tori

A few weeks back, I read a facebook trending headline.  I didn't read the story.  Just the headline next to the squiggly blue arrow.  It said something about "The Black Crowes call it quits."

Now the first thing I didn't think was "Again?"

That was actually the fourth thing I thought.  I thought they already broke up.  But I'm old so I get confused sometimes.

It would be really cool if it was the third thing I thought since the Wikipedia says it's the third time they broke up.  I don't know if it matters all that much. After "Hard to Handle," have they been played?  Is "Hard to Handle" them?

The third thing I thought was "Oh whew.  I'd be really upset if the Black Keys (or is it Keyes) broke up.  Although it seems like that Dan Auerbach guy tends to step out from time to time.

The Black Keys Kind of remind me of the White Stripes except their guitarist isn't as good and their drummer isn't as cute.  Oh yeah - and the White Stripes broke up.  Which kind of reminds me of the Black Crowes (crows?).

The second thing I thought was "Wait a minute.  Seriously. The guys who sing all those funny songs like "Tighten Up" and "Next Girl"?  Those guys are breaking up?  Crap.  No wait.  That's the Black Key(e)s.  Whew.

A few days before I saw this headline about the Black Crowes splitting up, I was over at my brother-in-law (Lane's) house listening to some long play (LP) vinyl records.  His son has recently moved into an apartment and there was a pile of his old clothes at the house. Lane said I should take them home and and let the boys pick through them to see if there's anything they'd like.

In that pile of clothes was an old Nirvana t-shirt.  Jack claimed it immediately.  I said "Do you know who that is?"  He said, "Yeah you always play it."

I said, "Nevermind."

Jack takes a Parkour class on Tuesday nights.  On the way out there, he asked if I'd spin the "Smells like Teen Spirit."

"Sure thing Sonny,"  I said.

Much to my young son's disappointment, I threw on the haunting Tori Amos version.  I personally think as far as covers go, it's one of the better ones.

"Oh god!  What is this?  Why do you even have this?"  Came Jack's scorn at hearing Tori's sweet dark voice.

"I think it's great is why,"  I explained.

"Please put on the real one,"  Jack begged.

"After this is over,"  I cautioned.

Anyway, a couple of days later, I read on the Facebook trending story thing that the Black Crowes Broke up.  Since I was thinking of the Black Keys and they have a rough fun style reminiscent (to me at least) of Nirvana, I immediately thought of Tori Amos and said on Facebook something like "At least Tori Amos is still together."

Of course all of this could have been avoided if the trending headline had a little photo of the band next to it.



Then I would have surely been like "What?  T.Rex is breaking up?"

Never get old.





No comments: