Thursday, January 29, 2015

SMH

Note:  This is not tonight's post. It's something I started writing last June and never finished.  I publish it now because of a conversation we (the family) had last night.

I've been seeing this one a bit lately.  I had to look it up.  It wasn't obvious to me what it stood for in the context I saw it.  But since I've seen it, I don't know how I've lived without it for so long.  It stands for "Shaking my head."

This should not be confused with SHM (Shim Hate Me).

For me it's nice to see these new stage direction shortcuts.  Some have been around forever and everybody knows the meaning.  It makes me wonder how new ones get started.  Especially the ones like "SMH."

I guess it's true with most of them though.  It's just that they've been around for so long, we don't really need translation anymore.  When you think about it, ROFL is not obvious.  It's just been around long enough that everybody knows what it means.



My fingers are a little tired just typing all that in.
Now, every time there's an argument among the people of the comments areas of the world's social and news sites, I become aware that I am shaking my head.

I guess I'm simultaneously RME (rolling my eyes), but I don't know if RME is a thing yet.  Also, it's possible that on occasion, I will GDATTR,SH (glance down and to the right, sighing heavily).


No comments: