Friday, September 12, 2014

Friday Extra: The Waiting Room

The whole visit to the chiropractor was pretty much doomed before I ever got hooked up to the L. Ron Hubbard devices during my extensive magic evaluation process.

Before I was called in, I sat for about 20 minutes in the reception area.  I now have a smart phone, but I had left it in the car so my only option for amusement while I waited was "looking around."

There was a television with a bunch of healthy living facts.  These were still photos that would cycle through with all kinds of information.

The main thing seemed to be the importance of drinking water.  That's fair.  But the amount they said you should drink.  No way.  It said people need to drink 1.5 ounces of water per pound of weight per day.

My thought was if I weighed 150 lbs, I would need to drink nearly 2 gallons of water a day by their formula. Even if they were talking about Kilograms of weight, that's still about a gallon of water a day.  Then came the punchline:  Even more if you exercise.

So - I weigh about 190.  I need a baseline of 285 ounces (2.23 Gallons) of water a day, plus more if I go for a ride?

No - because another infopic pointed this out: "Don't like exercising?  Do something fun instead.  Go for a bike ride.  You'll get some of the same benefits as you would if you did real exercise."

Seriously.  It said that bike riding isn't exercise.

So - this place was losing points with me in a big hurry.  After watching the info screen for a while, I looked to the bookshelf in the corner for some entertainment.

About every other book had a title along the lines of "The Vaccination Lie" or "Immunization Facts."

Oh boy.  What the hell is this place?

It was with the thought that I was visiting a bunch of harmonic convergence hippies that they called me in to the office where they applied their scientific healing stones to my spine.

I remain skeptical of the value of chiropractors.

3 comments:

munsoned said...

I forgot who said it, but a comedian mentioned in regard to this subject, "Ya know what alternative medicine that works is called? MEDICINE."

When I had one of my earlier wrist injuries, I went to a PT at UNMC, where I had just started working(so, 9 years ago??). They gave me some stretches and exercises, but they also hooked up this weird electro current thing that ran through the area of my wrist that was in pain. I guess it kinda numbed it up, because it felt a tad better, but it was still weird.

I wonder if some PTs are closeted Chiropractors?

Flintstone R Cube said...

There are similarities in the mode of treatment. The philosophy seems vastly different to me. Actual Doctors and PTs fall into the category of "good mechanic." This is the guy you take your car to and he fixes the problem you took it in for. Chiropractors are the "bad mechanics." You go in for an oil change and they tell you you need to get your engine overhauled even though your car runs fine.

Flintstone R Cube said...

Tim Minchin. I didn't know it a year ago. But I know it now. I was reading this post because I just finished 3 days of longish rides and have no pain. Last year, the shoulder problem sidelined me for more than a month. Tim Minchin said the thing about alternative medicine that works.