Friday, September 19, 2014

Friday Extra: KOM Cops

So I haven't been out riding much lately.  I've been injured.  I picked it back up Wednesday, but I'm still kind of nursing the injury.  I don't want to get myself back into the same place I was a couple of weeks ago.

I like recording my info on Strava.  When I first got excited about Strava, I would look for potential KOMs to beat based on their location and the wind direction.  I know it's silly, but I got into pretty decent shape trying to get KOMs.

Then I got kind of tired of the idea.  I will not go out of my way anymore.  Usually if I get a KOM now, it's because Spence isn't on Strava.  I'll go for a group ride and hang on for dear life to Spence's wheel for a while.  When I get home and upload to Strava, I'll see that I have a whole bunch of new KOMs I didn't know existed.  KOMs that would be Spence's if he were on Strava.

But once in a great while, there will be one around my neighborhood that I want to get.  Usually at the end of a ride if I'm feeling froggy, I will give it a go.  When somebody beats one of mine in my neighborhood, I take note and next time I'm in the area, I try to beat it.  Usually, I don't.  But every once in a while ...

Anyway, Strava sent me this note this morning:


Uh oh!  My first thought was "So what.  That's a lame KOM anyway.  It's a 22 second effort.  Well, 18 seconds now.  Golly.  He beat me by 4 seconds.  That's pretty good.   That's a tall order.  Who is this guy?

Holy Effin Ess!!!


At one point he was cruising up Dodge street at 49 MPH!  That's moving.  He shattered a bunch of KOMs so in my jealously, I cried foul and flagged the ride.

Now when you flag a ride on Strava, they require an explanation.  I said, "It's no fair.  He's too fast."

4 comments:

Travis said...

Ha! Someone forgot to turn off their Strava app after riding the Wabash! FredCube busted!

Flintstone R Cube said...

Taps on driver side window, lowers mirrored aviator sunglasses, and says, "Do you know why I flagged your ride?"

Taco rider looks left, then right in desperation. What it could be? When he catches a glimpse from the rear view mirror, he understands.

He shakes his head in disgust. Stupid. He realizes when he sees his trunk mounted bike that he left his gps device running after Margaritaville.

"Step out of the app, sir. Let's take a real ride together."

Ok - I stuck with an analogy that broke down before I started it. Sorry.

Anyway, yeah.

Travis said...

^like, thumbs up and stuff

Spence said...

Thanks Fred for the nice comments.