Saturday, March 01, 2008

I saw Brady while biking today


See how I made it sound like I was riding? I was driving. Brady was most likely heading to his Shabbos ride with presumably Mitmon, Algomaha et al. I was driving home. I thought I was driving home to get on my gear and go do the anti-shabbos (ride alone somewhere). Why join a group ride to ride alone. I'm in Golf shape, not bike shape. Actually, I've never really golfed, but I'm sure I'm pretty good.


I wasn't going home to ride though. I was going home to change the wax ring thing under the toilet. It's kind of ironic that what's under the toilet is enough to make you puke, but you can't because the toilet is all taken apart and everything. Yuck.

I didn't know I was changing the wax ring thing. I thought I was just taking the toilet off and replacing a broken bolt. That's how it was advertised by Jill. Thing is ...you can't really replace the bolt without moving the wax ring thing. And you can't really move the wax ring thing without it just tearing all up and sticking to everything. Well, maybe you can. That was not my experience.

So I'm at Lowe's - trying to decide which wax ring thing will best fit the needs of me and my family. I'm getting pretty excited about this whole project because Gene Hackman's voice is in my head gently helping me find everything I need to "Get it done right". I find the Wax ring things in the 'plumbing' aisle. They range in price from around $1.16 to about $7.32. You'd think with the important function (keeping shitty water off the floor) that the wax ring thing performs, I'd settle for nothing less than the best. But I asked myself "What would Munson do?"


It might seem like a weird question, but anytime I have to "do-it-myself", I think of Munson. So I did what Munson would do. I didn't buy any wax ring thing. I just went home and wrapped a crapload of duct tape around the hole.

Then I went for a bike ride.

3 comments:

brady said...

I saw Fred while Biking today. You had a gleeful look on your face. Now I understand it was because you a new toilet wax ring in your possession.

I find it ironic that on the same blog that shares my name in the title, you discuss the gory details of maintaining your toilet.

As for that, don't you know that Lowe's is the Bike Rack of plumbing supplies? Geesh. What a rookie.

And speaking of ironies, while on the Shabbos ride, there was this dude on a Bianchi in jeans, polo shirt and a pullover wind breaker. He looked as if ready for golfing, which made me think of you. Perhaps next time it will be the plumber's crack that will make me wonder where you are.

Flintstone R Cube said...

I bought my first "current era" bike from Bike Rack. So it's appropriate that I bought my first wax ring thing from Lowe's.

I don't think I was nearly as detailed as I could have been. I'm just glad we don't have any vegetarians in the family.

I don't even know if that makes any sense. It just sounds really gross.

brady said...

Oh yeah, baby. I can imagine all the cheese and curds and other dairy. And Tofu! And what about the eggplant? Oh geez. It's starting to sound like a Michael Moore documentary. I don't know if that makes any sense but it sounds really gross.