Thursday, March 03, 2016

Top 10 Day

Last Saturday was what I think people call a top 10 day.  It was late February and the record high temperature happened, I think.  It was somewhere in the 70s for a high.  Just fantastic weather.  And on a Saturday too!

For someone like me, that's about the best kind of day ever.  You gotta take advantage of those when you can.  So here's a summary of what I did on that godsend of a day.

I woke up bright and early to send a text to Brady about the ride we had tentatively planned.

Then I went back to bed and slept for another 4 hours because the really bestest part of the day wasn't until later.  It was still a little chilly in the morning.

At about 12:30 I made an egg sandwich for myself and went downstairs to see when Golf was on.  It wasn't until 2 PM, so I watched a college Basketball Game.  I think it was Georgetown vs Butler but it might have been Georgetown at Butler.  Either way, it was a doozy.  It went into overtime and one of those 2 teams eventually won.  The other one did not pull off the upset, so whichever team was favored was the one that won.  I don't really follow college basketball but I do enjoy watching it when I can.  Particularly in late February/March/Early April.

Even though the basketball game went into overtime, it was still over at around 1:30. About half an hour left of this incredibly gorgeous day before golf.  No fear. There was another college basketball game on.  This one was Oklahoma and Texas.  Not as fun to watch because those sound suspiciously like football schools.  I like to watch basketball teams with basketball sounding names like "Georgetown", "Gorgonzola", or "Duke"

Anyway, I didn't have to watch too much of the Big 12 battle because Golf came on a few minutes later and I could really get serious about taking advantage of the best day of the year.

I always watch golf the same way.  Lying down with a pillow and a blanky.  Oh yeah, and mostly asleep.  I love golf.  I am amazed by the skill of the pros.  But this is truly television for people to watch while sleeping.  That's why the announcers whisper.  It's not out of courtesy for the golfers out there on the course far, far from the studio.

I'm sure that back in the old days, golf announcing was all about trying to keep the home viewers awake.  I bet there were noisemakers and sousaphones and such.

But after a time, the golf tv people found their target audience.  That's why golf is on at nap time (2-5) Saturday and Sunday.

So at around 4, I woke up from my nap to watch the rest of the golf for Saturday.  Predictably, Sergio Garcia ended up tied for the lead with Adam Scott.

At that point, I didn't know Adam Scott would go on for the win on Sunday - but I knew Sergio would piss it away because that's what he does.  I just thought of another idea for one of those car insurance commercials.

"If you're Sergio Garcia, you lose your shit on Sunday.  That's just what you do ..."

Anyway, with golf over and only about an hour of sunlight left on the record breaking, beautiful February Saturday, I promptly slid "Bioshock Infinite" into the PlayStation.  I bought the game years ago but never played it.  Playing video games for me is sort of a "rainy day" affair.  Or in this case, an "Are you kidding me with this incredible weather?" affair.

I played Bioshock for about 3 hours, then I went back to sleep.  For the night.

Sunday was pretty much the same as Saturday.  Well, for me.  Not Sergio Garcia.

Then on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I didn't feel much like riding.

So I rode today instead.  It was ok I guess.  I'll tell you this much.  I'm probably going to miss golf this weekend.  I'm also a little sad that I didn't finish Bioshock because I don't see any way in hell I'll get back to it anytime soon.  Unless I get really really sick again like I was when I woke up on Saturday ... A boy can dream.




No comments: