Thursday, April 02, 2015

I need to get me 29 of them big huge foam hands with its big huge index finger extended.

Due to certain ideas of propriety and caution, I haven't talked nearly as much about my recent job change as I would have liked.  Certainly, I've mentioned it much more than most people would care for, but I've wanted to really cut loose with some good old fashioned vitriol.

But I'm a professional.

After I put in my notice at the other place, I spent my last 2 weeks working there as hard as I ever had.  I finished as much as I could, and I left on as good of terms as possible with the boneheads I reported to.

The day I received an offer from the new company was a Friday.  I immediately sent a gracious notice to all who needed to know.  My closest work colleague, the administrative assistant, my boss and his boss.

On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, even though I had been in several meetings, nobody (except my colleague) had said anything to me at all about it.

Eventually, word got around and people started asking me where I was going.

One guy said, "Wow.  Really?  That place is worse than here.  I guess you like people with their heads up their asses."

I'm not kidding.  He really said that.  Not "Good luck." or "congratulations."

My boss never said anything at all to me about it.  He still hasn't.  He just sort of ignored me until I wasn't there anymore.

I am telling you, this is a bizarre place.

Eventually, my boss's boss got around to acknowledging I was leaving.  It was about Thursday of that first week.  He asked me where I was going.  When I told him he gave me a strange look.  A look that was trying to tell me I was making a mistake, but only confirmed I needed to get the hell out of that horrible place.

"You seem surprised,"  I prodded.

"I am.  I've just heard so many horror stories.  I've gotten lots of calls from people who worked there and wanted to come here."

Ok.

I've been at the new place for 2 weeks tomorrow and I couldn't be happier.  It is going well and I'm finally back in a professional place.  We have a plan and stuff.  I'm a part of that.

That was the main problem with where I was.  They had their heads so far up ...  Never mind.

When I started this job search about 6 months ago, I was mainly focused on 2 places.  Both of them are in the list somebody sent me today.  It is Forbes list of the top 500 Employers in the country.

The old company wasn't on the list.  To be fair, this was only companies with 2500 or more employees. I don't know how many people work for the place I left, but I can't imagine 2500 people are stupid enough to work there.  Except when I am riding my bike around and encounter aggressive motorists.  Then I can imagine plenty of people stupid enough to work there.

Anyway, the list.  I filtered the results to see which companies based in Omaha made the cut.


YPG.

2 comments:

BCReject said...

Congrats Fred. My son plans on studying computer science at UNL next fall, so can I have him contact you when he's looking for an internship? (I'm sure you'd make a great mentor).

Flintstone R Cube said...

Cool. Let me know. If not at Mutual- I know a lot of people at Kiewit and U.P.