Friday, April 23, 2010

The Proudest Moment of Someone Else’s Life, Part 1

It was the familiar wonderful sound and smell of fried eggs, bacon and coffee that woke Officer Jack Hughes from his blissful dream-state. She’s making my favorite again. As he made the dreamy transition out of his deep slumber, he realized he was lying flat on his back in bed, smiling. He was happy about something, but could not immediately remember what it was. Some vague feeling of great accomplishment. “I must have made a good bust last night. I always feel this way after a good bust.”

Let’s see, what was it? No wait. I’m retired. Crap. Dread filled Officer Hughes’ mind at the painful realization he was no longer on the force. He hadn’t made a bust in over 5 years. He hadn’t had bacon and eggs for breakfast for at least 2 years. Not since that 27 year old “Dr. Snotnose” told him he’d kill himself if he didn’t get his LDLs and triglycerides down. “But I’ll die without my bacon and eggs,” he pleaded. “Dr. Snotnose” would hear none of it. Louise, Jack’s better half conspired with the good Dr. “I still need you to fix things around the house. I’m afraid it’s oatmeal and grapefruit from here on out, snookems.”

Death by fiber, Ex-officer Hughes thought. Why couldn’t I have just died in the line of duty? Heroes eat bacon. That’s what it’ll say on my gravestone.

But now bacon, eggs and coffee is exactly what he smelled. There was no mistaking it. Is this some sort of dream, he wondered. He opened his eyes to see his bedroom ceiling. The old familiar Mississippi river shaped crack running southeast from the ceiling fan. No. I’m really here. I’m really awake. I really smell bacon and eggs, and I’m really happy. But why?

Sitting up on his elbows, looking beyond his feet he saw his current work uniform draped over a bedroom chair near the vanity. It all came back to him. The bacon and eggs were still a mystery, but he now remembered why he’s so happy. The next thing to do is casually go into the kitchen and tell Louise about last night. He relaxed for a moment back into his pillow, fingers interlocked behind his head. Big old grin on his big old face replaying the past evening’s triumph. He carefully framed the events into a lucid story designed for maximum breakfast entertainment value. The goal, as it had always been, was a sweet “My hero,” and a light kiss on the cheek from Louise. Of course she was being sarcastic, but Jack loved it. He knew well the great depth of her love.

Once he was ready with his story, Jack reminded himself to walk into the kitchen casually. No whistling. That will spoil the surprise. It will be difficult to refrain from skipping like a schoolboy into the kitchen. But it was a challenge old man Hughes was willing to accept. He had no choice. Also, he wanted to find out why that evil old woman was cooking his favorite breakfast when he could no longer enjoy it. “Louise, you got some ‘splaining to do,” as their old joke went. Louise never failed to back him up with her best Lucille Ball, “Waaaaaah!”

“Here he comes,” thought Louise upon hearing the floorboards announcing Old Man Hughes’ approach. “Funny, he doesn’t seem to be skipping,” she suppressed a giggle as she pulled the fresh squeezed orange juice from the icebox. “He’s got a story for me. I’m not making him eat that wretched oatmeal as he tells me his first new story in 5 years. Who knows how many more stories there will be?”

Louise understood the old man pretty well. Forty to fifty years of paying attention will do that. Retirement had been extremely difficult for Jack. His job had meant the world to him. He’d put his life in the hands of his comrades on countless occasions as they had in him. Since retiring, he’d slowly come to feel like he was no longer a part of the gang.

For the first few months of retirement, Hughes life had changed little. He still spent most mornings at the same old coffee shop, arguing sports with his old pals before they reported for duty. He still went down to Ugly Tom’s every Friday night to toss back a couple brews with the same group, swapping war stories. Lamenting how bad the kids these days are getting. Unfortunately, Jack’s stories were all beginning to start with the phrase, “Did I ever tell you about the time …”

His pals didn’t mind. They loved the way Old Jack crafted a story. The way he brought it to life. But Hughes minded. He felt now that he’s done contributing, he’s done talking about it. So he stopped going. His friends would call every Saturday, “Missed you last night, old pal.”

Jack had his excuse ready, “You know, Louise has been pestering me to take her to the fish fry,” or “Junior was passing through town, a break from school.”

Eventually the calls stopped. Jack became depressed. He rarely left the house. He rarely got out of his pajamas. His health started to fail. When Louise realized he was killing himself, she suggested he find a hobby. “I’m only good at one thing. I only ever enjoyed doing one thing. That ship has sailed, baby cakes.”

“Then go get a job,” Louise said.

“I’m not going to get a job. I’m retired. This is what I waited my whole life for”

“How’s that working out for you?”

“Dammit Louise, why do you always have to be right? What am I going to do? Flip Burgers? Some high school kid for a boss?”

“There’s always …”

“Don’t say security. I’m not going to be a rent-a-pig. What would the guys say?”

“Whatever they say, it’ll be better if they’re not saying it at your funeral. Talk to Bob. He’s always looking for a hand. I’ve never seen you this way. I’m worried.”

Bob was Jack’s best friend and first partner. He was about 10 years older than Jack, but you’d never know it. He had always stayed busy. About 5 years before Bob retired; he started moonlighting as a security guard. Eventually, he bought the security company and built it into a lucrative little empire. Bob asked Jack about a half dozen times if he wanted to make some easy money. Making reference to an old “dirty cop” joke from back in the day. Jack always declined, citing the joy of retirement. Bob knew it was more likely pride. But He also knew better than to push Jack too hard.

Louise also had a slightly selfish motive for wanting Jack to get some sort of diversion. Jack was wrong about one thing. He was not only good at police work. He was the best story teller she had ever known. When Jack was telling a story, he was reliving what he loved. He was happy. Louise was happy when Jack was happy.

Since retirement, the stories were fewer and farther between. Jack barely spoke at all. He was restless. He tossed and turned all night. When he was on the force, he slept like a baby.

This was how Louise knew a story was coming as she heard the floorboards creek. Last night he had slept like he hadn’t in years. When she woke and saw him peacefully on his back, goofy old grin on his face, she decided it was time to bring out the bacon and eggs. “I’ll bring the bacon, you bring the adventure, my hero,” had been her agreement with Jack from the time they were kids.

Jack had been at his new job as Mall Security for about 2 months. Because he was the “newbie”, he got the worst shifts. Even so, he had already gained a hint of spring to his step. The job did give him some purpose, but was mostly unfulfilling. He never said anything other than, “It was fine.” His shift started at 10PM and ended around 2AM. Only the movie theater was open after 9PM. It was closed at 11 on week nights. There was very little interesting happening. For most of his shift, he was alone. Certainly nothing to inspire a famous “Jack Hughes story”. To Jack it ended up being about the same as sitting at home, but with a little bit of cash.

Just as Jack was about to abandon hope that the new job would ever bring excitement, he heard a rumor. There was an old, beat up Movie Theater in midtown that was closing. For years it had survived off ticket sales of its weekend showing of the cult classic “The Rocky Horror Picture show”. The movie was shown at midnight and had a huge following. The rumor was that the Six West, which was the 6-plex at the mall where Jack worked, had agreed to pick up where the old theater left off. The old theater had allowed its patrons to yell and scream, throw things, dance around in the aisles and dress in costume. Jack had no idea what “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” was. All he knew is that the crowds tended to get a little rowdy. Not on my watch, Jack thought.

To be continued ...

13 comments:

brady said...

Dude, why are you writing C code?

Oh, lemme guess. The bacon and eggs. Because Jill really loves your stories about flexible pattern matching in strings.

You missed your call. An unfortunate waste of talent for you and all of us. For you because you'd enjoy it, and more importantly, would be a hero (bacon and eggs). For us because you'd never leave us hanging in perpetuity with another one of your "to be continued" stories.

Shim said...

My proudest moment (of the week)came yesterday at the Trek Store around 1:15 p.m. Maybe Brady can share the picture with the cube readers.

munsoned said...

Man, stupid internet that doesn't have pages to turn...

Flintstone R Cube said...

eah Brady, where's that photo Shim sent you?

I know. There's no reason to think I won't abandon posting for 6 months or so, only to come back and gush about one of my kids. But this time I mean it. I will finish this story. Then I'll finish the one about Wussell and Weesa (not really). Then maybe I'll reveal who the real Wes J. is.

But seriously, I'm about half done with part 2 of this story right now. Too bad I don't know how many parts there are. Maybe I'll post a trailer. That sounds fun.

brady said...

A pyramid of Budweiser tall-boys had been constructed, leaving only the warm Hamms somebody smuggled in to consume. Staley had long emptied his stomach and was dry-heaving in the bathroom; Missey was passed out on the couch. It was around 11:30 PM on a warm Friday October evening, 1986. An Indian summer breeze gently ruffled the curtain in the open window of University City bungalow that my friend Jason's family resided in.

For several weeks, Jason had been planning a "drink till you pass out" party that was now waning, while his parents were vacationing in the Bahamas. Where some may have opted for a huge party, Jason was more selective in his invitations, choosing to invite a handful of friends to a private binging where you were encouraged to imbibe until passing out.

Jason scans the room. The carnage was complete: bodies were draped over furniture like dirty laundry. Only he and I remained standing. His bloodshot eyes fixed toward me. Well, at least one of them did. He had a lazy eye that drifted nonchalantly towards the davenport that Kevin Williams was splayed across.

"You ready?"

"Ready for what?"

"To go to the show."

"Show..what show?"

"The Rocky Horror Picture show at the Avalon. We can make it if we leave now."

"Jason, we're not driving anywhere--"

Jason's face contorted as a long muffled belch permeates the air with sour Hamms beer

"Relax. The Avalon is a few blocks away. We're walking."

Ten minutes later, we're standing in a line of cross dressers and people holding various cardboard props beneath an art-deco marquis with large block lettering "ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW". At the time, I was a RHPS virgin. In fact, other than hearing a few of the songs on classic rock KSHE-95, I knew nothing about it. In my inebriated state, I was wondering whether we were seeing a movie or a drama, and if so, why were actors in full costume buying tickets like me?

By the time we got to the front of the line, Jason wasn't looking too swell. His appearance caused the night manager behind the glass concern.

"Your friend alright?"

"Yeah, he's fine. Allergies."

The excuse, 'allergies' worked for my Mom, but I could tell that he wasn't buying it

"He better not throw up in my theater, or you clowns will mopping up afterward. That'll be five bucks."

We paid the fair and wandered in and plopped down on dilapidated crushed velvet seats.

More confusion settled upon me as I saw the actors on the stage, in front of the curtain. It was bad enough that they were there before the show actually began, but what really threw me was that there were apparently multiple people ready to play the same role.

to be continued...

Flintstone R Cube said...

NotNotFredcube?

brady said...

The music began as the flicker of the camera light lit the screen. As the curtain was drawn back, my eyes were opened to a sub-culture I knew nothing about. Suddenly everybody stood up and started singing and shouting at the screen. Transvestites were running amok of the place. People were throwing stuff. It was pandemonium.

Ten minutes into the show I noticed that Jason's no longer yelling crap but is hunched over in his seat.

The musical numbers continued. There was a Dr Frank N. Furter in the row in front of me who knew every single word of every song and was yelling hilarious stuff in between the verses.

By the Medusa Transducer scene, I was faking the words enough that nobody could tell I was a newbie. Just then somebody behind me grabbed my shoulder. What's this? Am I missing out on doing something? I turn around and there's a guy dressed like security guard with a flashlight shining at me. Hmmm. I didn't recall seeing any security guards among the costumes, but why not?

"Your friend is getting sick next to you"

the music & shouting practically drowned out his voice. I foolishly nod my head in agreement, feigning understanding

"OK"

He sees that I don't get it. At exactly that moment, there's a moment of silence as the music and shouting abruptly stops.

"YOUR PAL IS THROWING UP ON THE SEAT IN FRONT OF HIM!"

The flashlight pans down on Jason, who was indeed barfing his brains out into the the folded velvet seat. Standing in front of it with her hand covering her mouth was the woman whose seat he was vomiting on. Her face was the horror of Rocky Horror Picture show that evening.

Though there was still plenty of film on its reel, the Rocky Horror Picture Show was over for Jason and I. The rent-a-cop promptly threw us out and told to never come back.

We eventually stumbled back to Jason's house -- that despite his insistence that a random house we walked up to was his. He even tried to use his key to enter it. It wasn't until I pointed at the address that Jason had a moment of clarity. "Oh yeah. This is where we used to live."


What a night. What a show. Till date, I have never seen a complete Rocky Horror Picture show, but I still believe that I had an authentic experience.

Anyway, I hear it's still playing at the Avalon.

Flintstone R Cube said...

If you got to the Medusa Transducer scene, you saw most of the movie. The great thing is it sounds like security yelled at you during the same silent spot Palo Alto used to have. After Frankie petrifies all the guests, Magenta start bitching at him. He ensures her that she and her brother will be compensated for their work.

She says: I ask for nothing.

Frankie says: And you shall receive it. In Abundance!

I say Charles Cox' protein line and save another theatre from a mediocre RHPS experience. Where's this Avalon? Iowa or something?

brady said...

The theater name/location is part of the 1% that's inaccurate.

While there was an Avalon theater, it was in South St Louis city. It would have been too far for us to walk there.

Perhaps it was the Hi-Pointe on McCausland & Clayton Ave in St. Louis. That's closer to University City, but that still doesn't seem quite right. I think I would have remembered that intersection.

Lemme fish around. I'll get back to you.

Flintstone R Cube said...

I appreciate it, 'cause I'm thinking, "ROAD TRIP!!!!"

That's right. Four exclamation points. I'm free.

brady said...

My friend Steve sent me an update

The name of the movie theater was the Shady Oak. It was demolished in November 2008 for a parking lot, though it had been closed a long time before that. Here's a description: http://cinematreasures.org/theater/4965/

brady said...

Also for the record, Jason really didn't have a lazy eye. That was used solely to carry the plot.

Hi Jason. It's been a long while since we talked, man. Like, 20 years? Yeah, how's life? Send me a note sometime: brady dot murphy at gmail.

Flintstone R Cube said...

No - Yeah. I figured it was something like that. I was thinking maybe nobody had ever really given Jason's eye an opportunity or something. Or maybe Jason's eye didn't think of running the old man's gas station as the dream life. But Yeah, I wouldn't have said "Lazy".