Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It’s like riding a bike, only slower

I like getting back into shape much more than being in shape. Once you’re in shape, the gains are minimal. You’re building over months or years at a time. When you’re out of shape, particularly if you have been in shape before, the overnight improvement is amazing. I’ve been out 3 times this year. 17 days ago, last Sunday, and last night. The first ride did not feel bad, per se. I could not press down on the pedals, but I could spin pretty comfortably for a while. About 20 miles into a 25 mile ride, my legs were fatigued. Last Sunday was an easy spin for a while. Even though I had not ridden for 2 weeks, it was better than the first ride. The best way to describe last night’s ride is after about 10 miles or so, my legs “woke up”. I could suddenly push down hard on the pedals without that weird shaky pain feeling.

After they woke up, my legs immediately hit the snooze to rest for another 9 minutes. Then, they did it again. Wow. This is fun.

Then the best thing ever happened. I looked behind me and saw another "Keystone Hammer" about a quarter mile away. Hmm. I didn’t pass that guy. I’m in no kind of shape, but I’ll give it a go. I’ll see if I can hold him off until I turn off the trail at Aksarben.

Well almost. He finally caught me at College of Saint Mary’s where He told me he’d been chasing me for a few miles and I told him that I knew and I was glad we could motivate each other on today’s ride. Then we gave each other the secret Hammershake, and parted ways.

Good times.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

about this characterization you're linking to and somehow proud of...

Funny that your relation to biking is even more pointless and absurd. Road racing in the minor leagues is pretty pathetic, and making fun of people who choose to go out on their bike as somehow out of touch with the 'important' aspects of cycling (racing?) is even more so.

You spend your cycling efforts ...

Hang on. someone's knocking at the door ...

(off in the distance) Oh no. This is horrible!! A real life vampire with little social conscience! snap, crunch, bleed.

munsoned said...

Oh, now that's just hilarious.

Flintstone R Cube said...

Anonymous - Couldn't happen to a nicer tree-hugger.

Munsoned - I know, right?

Shim said...

Can you help at the Papio Crit on the 11th? Its a small step back towards the sport.

Flintstone R Cube said...

I ran out of gas.
I had a flat tire.
I didn't have enough money for cab fare.
My tux didn't come back from the cleaners.
An old friend came in from out of town.
Someone stole my car.
There was an earthquake.
A terrible flood.
Locusts.
IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.

Shim said...

Excellent so we'll see you there around two p.m. wear your team kit