Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The next big deal


Many years ago, High Gear held a Tuesday night crit training series. These were great. Criteriums can be very scary. This was a chance to get a feel for the way the races go with little pressure. You could drop out and jump in whenever you wanted. The idea was that you could work on crit skills that you can't work on in a real crit once you get dropped. I went to these every Tuesday that summer and was in the best crit racing condition I've ever been in. My weakness has always been fear. Gaining confidence going through corners at 30 MPH was invaluable, blah blah blah.

The Tuesday night crit used to kind of divide into 2 groups. A (cat 1/2/3) and B (4/5). Sometimes we'd do this very cool thing. Work on team tactics. There would be 2 teams comprised of a mix of talents. One 4 or 5 rider was designated as the team leader and everyone else would work to help that person win. If that person got dropped - another 4 or 5 would be the one to win. the 1-2-3s just had to pull and help or break away to get the other team to chase, but they could not win.

I bring it up to talk about Munson, Shim, a lady’s seat and why Munson will rule local cycling next year!

The thing I like best about Shim is he has a personality kind of like Steven Jobs (co-founder of Apple computers). If you take him seriously, you will get mad. If you think he's joking, he's hilarious. Problem is -- he’s not joking. The reason you get mad is because what he is saying is true and usually has something to do with how you suck (in a funny way). So really – it’s about not taking yourself too seriously.

Example: One U.P. Lunch ride during the winter, it was about 50 degrees out. I could not find my fifty degree gloves that morning, so I was wearing the 30 degree gloves. Shim said something like "Too bad it's not snowing. You'd have great gloves for a snowball fight." Great stuff. But some people aren't laughing. Strangely, he said nothing to Wesley, who was wearing Pleather driving gloves that he had no doubt received from his grandparents the previous Christmas.

Back to the Tuesday night crits. Munson had a bike seat that had a split in the middle (on purpose). I think the idea is that if your vagina (hoo-ha) needs a good airing out, you can still go for a ride. I'm not sure if there was a sale on "prostate buddy" saddles or what, but if there's ever a cycling fashion faux pas and Shim is in the vicinity, he'll point it out. On this Tuesday night crit Shim asked, “Munson, why do you have a lady’s seat?”



The thing I like about Munson is he’s the angriest person I’ve ever met. No one knows this of course, because he hides it like Dexter (an all new season begins this fall on Showtime!). He’s the friendliest helpfullest calmest person you’ve ever met. But believe me, There’s a monster brewing under the surface. How can I be so sure? My mom was the same way (before she tossed a hamburger at my dad and became hill training for local riders – (another Shim original)). Most postal workers are this way. I used to be this way. Figuratively speaking – I used to have a little Munson in me. I gave it up for outbursts of anger and alcoholism. Big improvement, but no way to win races.

Even writing this, I’m a little nervous. I hope the “friendly” Munson reads this.

Why is Munson always all smiles? Why does he wave with a big ol’ grin when he flies by you in a crit? Because he figures it’s slightly better than hacking you to delicious little crimson bits with an X-acto (for now anyway).



So on this fateful Tuesday night, Shim’s words pierced through Munson’s soul like light through the middle of his bike seat. A tiny little crack (I wanted to say fissure here, but I thought it was a bit much) formed on the surface of Munson’s otherwise flawless armor of gentleness. A tiny little bit of the true Munson escaped through that crack. A slight whiff of sulfur could be detected. People’s eyes were burning. Munson blamed it on a huge burrito he had supposedly eaten the night before.

At this time (a few years ago), Randell and Shim were at about the same level. Munson was somewhat below that. No way could “nice” Munson challenge Randell or Shim. And though nice Munson probably happily pedaled his happy sandals down to lovely Bellevue, whistling “I wish I were an Oscar Meyer wiener”, Shim’s comment summoned alternate universe, evil, goatee toting Munson. It was really scary. We were having the crit in a church parking lot and as the gun went off signifying the race start, the skies began to darken and a voice from below could be heard growling “This is my wretched son, Fear him with all that is within you, son of man!”

I’m not saying it was Satan, I’m just saying that’s what the voice said.

So anyway – Munson won the crit that night, beating Shim (Randell was not there).

Once again, Munson was happy, vindicated. The skies cleared. His eyes turned from black to their normal golden color. The goatee vanished.

Talking about it later, Munson was saying something about Shim’s comment getting him fired up. I was agreeing with him (I thought) when I said I had realized what “turning a pedal in anger” means.

Munson (the crack in his gentleness armor haphazardly patched - for now) disagreed. “My best results have come when I was not angry.”

Yeah whatever, Lady’s seat boy.

ff>

Well I haven’t thought about that much (not more than 3 or 4 times a day) since then, but some of Munson’s recent blog comments make me realize the shield that has protected us all through the years is finally wearing away. Starting to rust a bit maybe …

The title of his last post:
“Rough couple of weeks”

What?!? That doesn’t sound like Munson.
Good Munson would have said, “Diarrhea is a great way to get down to that target weight!”

Crack!

I am toying with the idea of racing again, to which Munson says:
“Um, sorry to remind you, but one other guy just hit his 45 candle-on-the-cake year....Mark Brackenbury. And he's strong as ever. And Dave Rogers is also Spence like in his strength.”

Not “Just think of Bunnies and lollipops, and you’ll do fine. Even if you don’t win (you will), you’re still a winner in my book, slugger!”

Crack!

Brady says “hey, let’s put the drive train on the other side”

Does Munson say, “You could do it with enough duct tape!”

Nope, here comes evil Munson. The real Munson:

“I'm sorry to rain on your left parade brady, but the only way a left drive bike will work is with either a fixed gear or single speed. There's no derailleur hanger on the left side.”

Crumble!

Oh it’s on. Beating Shim was nothing. I predict evil Munson will be in complete control by November. Next Summer, no mortal on 2 wheels will stand a chance.

I’m just kidding. Munson’s really nice.

Update: Told ya.

10 comments:

bryan said...

personally, I'm hoping to disable Munson's self-destruct (and therefore his kill everything else) setting by next spring. Because if he comes back all fast and strong and stuff, my days of pointing out his prodigous burrito-eating habits are numbered.

And I really like pointing out his prodigious burrito-eating habits.

munsoned said...

Wow Fred, you scare me. I've seen you face to face like 3 times in the last year and you still know me all too well. I finished writing up my post, ventured over here, and got updated on my state of health by a good friend. I guess I have been a little less Munson-esque as of late. I'm thinking it's my lack of riding and racing. So I'll give it a go and see if that puts me in the previous burrito eating blissful state I used to have.

Speaking of which, are you doing a couple/few hour ride early Saturday morning? I'd be up for some great Shabbos adventures with you and/or Brady. Post on your or my blog if you want to get something going.

And if you say one thing about my cycling sandals, I'll leave you in the dust. No wait, good Munson answer: I may be wearing some out of the ordinary cycling clothing mainly as a comfort benefit, so get ready to laugh WITH ME.

brady said...

You're a bully, Fred. Don't pay attention to him, Munson - you're really a nice fella with a well-adjusted attitude.

ANYWAY, I AM PISSED THAT I'M NOT THE ANGRIEST PERSON YOU'VE EVER MET.

That's it: no more rageaholics meetings, no more crying at Hallmark commercials or expressing my feelings when words hurt me. I'm shutting it all down to allow the fury to rise.

munsoned said...

Oops, in my fury of email composure, I forgot that I'm officiating at the Cornhusker State Games TT on Saturday. So nevermind about the group ride. Brady will be meditating about some oddly dressed fat ladies doing something at a lake or something, so he's out too.

So hopefully next weekend we can get something going on either day. Till then, work on that 114 on a par 68.

Flintstone R Cube said...

Pas de problem, Munson. I can't do much more than ride around on the flats right now anyway. I'll most likely do one loop of the hummel/ponca hill climb tomorrow and go home.

That was 104 on a par 68. However, I had gotten it whittled down to about 102 on a par 70 until I switched to left handed. Yeah - that added about 10 strokes. Usually not the goal, but improvement will come quickly. Golf is what I was made for.

Brady: Jealous! I'm kind of pissed that you're not the angriest person I've ever met, too. It would be a wonderful world if you were, hippie.

brady said...

You're welcome to join me in the brutally bloody fight for peace, love, bunnies and lollipops.

Shim said...

I kind of remember that, but as I recall Randell jumped on the band wagon as well. I usually only jump on someone who I think can take it, if I had said something to Wes he would have been crushed. I'm sure Munson read some article on impotence in his bicycling magazine and like all good American's believed the media's BS and rushed out and bought the first "Gash Saddle" he came across. Much like the biopace chain rings,the gash saddle has fallen by the wayside and can now only be found on RAGBRAI and other such event.

We have a guy who has been showing up on the Wed night ride lately who has like a 20 year old road bike that only has one working gear, I keep asking him if he wants me to call his wife and get him the ok for a new bike with working gears. He seems to be taking it pretty good, but he is probably plotting my demise and I don't even know it ala Munson.

Flintstone R Cube said...

It's always the quiet ones. Watch your back, Shim. You should see if Munson can fashion some duct tape and burrito wrappers into more gears for that guy.

brady said...

This post is as fresh today as it was back then. A classic

Flintstone R Cube said...

I agree Brady. It just shows that in 6 years, nothing at all has happened to change anything at all. It might be time to just start reposting old posts until something changes (and it never will).